Water Locked it :(

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tistheman5

Reaction score
i made a run in the mud hole in my potm again yesterday. on the up side i made it through but as soon as i did i got about 10 feet and it water locks :'(

so i drain the gallon of water out of my airbox and get the half gallon of water out of my filter, then take the spark plug out and blow the water out. so after about 10 min we roll start it and get it running, i was like ;D
then about 2 hours later it start smoking BAD
like if someone is behind me i caint see them, tomorow ill change the oil and hope that fixes it but if it dont will i need new rings or a gasket???

What color is the smoke? It was probebly vapor locking and your rings and piston might be shot. Sucks cause your just bought that piston too. Good luck, even if it stope smoking, id tear it down over winter.

I have a feeling that dsw is right and the rings got screwed up when it locked, I don't know how else water could cause it to smoke

White smoke usually indicates water. If your rings or piston were damaged, and oil was burning, I think you'd have blue smoke. Definately look into the motor though, you have done some damage.

I bet that you got a ton of water in your oil and that did two things.

1) after two hours of running with water for your oil you totally fucked up your rings, piston and cylinder wall, not to mention every other component in your engine and drive train.

2) after your rings wore out you started to burn all the oily water in your crankcase and that is what is making the white smoke.

Drain your oil. If its milky brown, your engine is FUBARed. Time for a new one or rebuild. Keep in mind that your tranny and all of its bearings are probably F'd up too. You might be lucky and they aren't but I highly doubt it.

Sorry to have to give you the bad news.

drain your oil like a mofo until it looks the same again and pray pray pray! Get a leakdown/compression test done and hope that you only messed up your rings (pretty cheap to fix).

well i checked the oil today and its milky. hopefully i can just change the oil and fix it but if my motor is fucked im going to try and get a 435 kit. does anyone know what it would cost if i did all the work i could? its 650 but i think i have to send them my crank for them to modify, anyone know a total price?

Sorry man, changing the oil isn't gonna fix. I garauntee that you seriously fucked up those rings and scored the cylinder. I would highly recommend that you replace the wrist pin and rod bearing. Those are probably near failure as well.

On the good side, all of those will get replaced with a stroker kit!

He may have gotten lucky I have drowned several quads in my day for over a day/night under water and got the oil back to normal/dried everything out and they ran perfectly fine for years to come.

Yeah I would agree that if he dried it out right away he would have been ok. But, he said that he ran it for two hours before it started to smoke. That's a long time to be running with a water/oil mix.

Yeah I would agree that if he dried it out right away he would have been ok. But, he said that he ran it for two hours before it started to smoke. That's a long time to be running with a water/oil mix.

Its that performance water/oil mix you dont know what your saying man. :cool:

yea well im let all that **** drain for awile, then change my oil. if it dont work ima cry then start looking inta a 435. on the up side im selling my stock carb tomorow :) thats a 100 towards the fst if i need it

Change the oil two or three times, running the engine ~2 minutes inbetween each change. That should help remove as much water as possible from the valve train and other stuff. Then run the engine until it gets up to normal temp (~30 min), this will boil of the remaining water and hopefully push it through the crankcase breather. You might even want to change the oil after that too.

Speaking of the crank breather.... What did you do with it after you put on the K&N? Are you still using the stock snorkel? If not, that might be where you got all the water in. I would suggest putting a check valve in that line if you plan on doing a lot of mud running.

Latest posts

Back