Warrior won't start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1994warrior

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought this a little over a week ago. Like I said in my post when I bought it, when I got home it would not start. This was wierd because it started both times I went to look at it. Anyways I thought that driving it home in a blizzard in the back of the truck made it mad lol, so I let it dry out and the next day it started fine (cold blooded but started). Since then it has not started once. I know there are a million things to check, but I know it has spark, as I have looked and Im sure it has gas. The tank is full, and I even tried spraying strating fluid in air intake with no luck. As far as everything else I don't know what to check,,, it has started recently thats why im puzzlled.............I made a little video of me trying to start it. Both with choke in, and all the way out. Had it on trickle charge and battery was at 100% P.S I have tried extreme hard start with hand over air intake and nothing. If you click photo below it will take you to video IT IS IN NEUTRAL lol my light does not work so if you catch that not lit up it should be lol What it is doing in the video is all it ever does (just spins or whatever its doing).... Any ideas guys I may sound dumb, but I am lol still new to quads my 94 previous to this was the first one I ever owned!!

Last edited:
pretty nice warrior btw. Are you possitive its getting fuel? Maybe the petcock is plugged up. Hows the spark look when you check it? Like what does the spark look like, color, is it erratic? Its gotta be on of the 2, no spark/ not enough spark, or no fuel.

When I placed the spark plug against the block it was like a steady light blue color. Also whats the gap suppose to be,, I will check that. Might be clogged petcock?? How do I check... I tried starting fluid, but that may not have mattered. I will check weather spark is erratic, and check for clogged petcock. And once I find out what gap is suppose to be I will make sure its correct!!!

Last edited:
Petcock was not clogged. I noticed there were three hose inputs/outputs on the carb. Im assuming the bottum one is some kind of gas drain off hose that just goes and hangs down. I know the middle one is the input from the petcock supplying gas. Don't know what the top one is, that kind of points up. I have no hoses on top or bottum part of carb,,, should I??? All i have is the gas input to carb.

Last edited:
Are you possitive its getting fuel?

This really sounds like leak of fuel..."a clog". Notice you didnt have inline fuel filter. so, start with taking off the fuel line at the petcock and blow into it back toward the carb. then see if fuel is flowing out from the tank. hook it up and give it a try...

spark plug should be .24-.28 inches i believe. The 2 barbs without hoses are just over flow passages if the quad gets flipped.

Fuel flows out of the hose good. I unhooked it and drained tank in gas can too take petcock off and clean it. As soon as I switched it from off to on the hose drained intire tank into gas can easily. Flows real good out of tank and hose. Wierd Anyother ideas,,, carb issue?? Have to go to the hell hole(work) for the next 12 hours but will check your guys ideas in mourning!! Thanks!!!

haha i know what you mean by the "hell hole". Maybe check the timing just to make sure, maybe take the carb and get a rebuild kit for it and take it apart and totally clean the hell outta it with carb cleaner.

You can open up the bowl screw and make sure gas comes out from there too. and that hose that runs up is a breather hose. make sure it dont cloged or pinch closed.

Well what doesn't make sense is its getting fuel spark, and it won't fire with starting fluid makes me wonder its not something else. Take the the spark plug out and put your finger over the hole and see if there is any pressure form compression. Maybe a sticky valve? No compression no fire, but should backfire somewhat. If it was getting no fuel then it should at least pop off with starting fluid.

The one I just picked up did the same exact thing! I cleaned the carb twice ( I dont think that was a problem though), and I adjusted the valves. The exhaust valves were quite a bit out. There is a good "how to" on here for doing the valves. Its actually quite simple. Mine starts alot better now but can still be a little stubborn at times. I blame that on the cold and it probably could use new rings. Either way, best of luck to ya.

OK well im off to bed, but I tried some things. I tried starting fluid again (even though I know the carb is getting gas) and nothing. I gapped my plug to .28 and tried again (nothing but what it does in original video). I covered spark plug hole and plenty of compression (assuming thats the powerful puffs of air coming out of hole). I have included a second video of spark. My digital camera sucks. It was semi-light in garage even though it looks pitch black. Had I hit the lights off it would look more powerful (spark would) This is my new (yesterday) plug resting on engine block sparking gapped to .28

Anyways I don't know enough to check valves,, I wish I did and maybe I will read up and see if it's something I can do. I could clean carb I guess,,, just lost..... Im a city boy who grew up with a annoying overprotective mom who assumed a quad was like drugs..... it always ends in death. I want to learn,, and know more,,, Im just not there yet!!! Thanks for all the help guys, there's nothing worse than saving for months to get something you can't use lol

could be all in those valves man. you've checked everything else. do you have any buddies that may know how to check them and that will work for a 6 pack?

you said you tried putting your hand over the back of the carb to choke it right was you hand wet with fuel ?? .... after cranking it pull the plug and see if it wet ?? ....just b/c the fuel can get to carb doesn't always mean it can get to motor..... if its when it not fuel issue ..... check the air filler to see if its clean and try staring without it

SO its getting spark, (constant spark??) and its getting gas. What does it do with starter fluid sprayed into the carb?

Its your timing set? Valves gapped right? In the video, that is turnong over very very slowly, hook it up to a charger and try to start then, should have a nice and fast steady turnover rate.

It did run when you bought it? ( I think I read that right as if you just got it, right?)

i watched that video twice and it doesnt really seem to be getting constant spark u can see there are some delays in the spark. is that just me?

i watched that video twice and it doesnt really seem to be getting constant spark u can see there are some delays in the spark. is that just me?

Yupp, at the end of the clip the spark is sparatic, I think we all know what that means!

Back