warrior cutting out/ bogging at 1/2 throttle..

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4strokerider69

Reaction score
hey guys im new to the site and...just got my first warrior what ive always wanted...its a 98 with mega max 2 exhaust and k&n air filter...when i got it had sat for two years with no gas in the car but with the carb and header off..there was water in the cyl. so i turned it over with no spark plug header or carb on to shoot some of it out sprayed wd-40 in there and drained the oil n filter.. left is sit for two day with all orphaces open haha...in the mean time i cleaned the carb inside out and...changed the oil n filter with rotella t 15w-40 cleaned and oiled the filter..cleaned and checked the plug b4 i cleaned it was black... after all that had been done i had it assembled with fresh gas...after two years of dormancy..i hit the button with no choke and she fired right up...let her idle for a good bit to get things goin again. After it was all warm n heated up i went to hit the gas and almost at half throttle she kinda cuts :loco:eek:ut and barks at me lol...likes its missing i got good compression and no noisy valves....what do i do???? im experinced but its my first warrior i been reading about jetss and advice or walk through would be great

Assuming you have no engine issues that you or we don't know about (because of the water) I would first look at the intake boots. Specifically the intake manifold between the carb and the head. They have a nasty habit of tearing. If that's good check the position of the jet neddle. It may have been moved before you got it, or you could have put the clip in the wrong groove during reassymbly. That is if it was already apart. Factory setting is the middle notch. Check that if the boot is in good shape. It could be something as simple as trash in the percock or line or float bowl plugging things up.

well i went out this morning..and hit the button no choke or anything and it fired right up like usual..hit the gas and she wound out nicely..i had clean the carb with some two stroke mix...its wat i had at the time...and ya can never get every last drop of water outta there in a timely manner so i was thinkin maybe a mix of the two things mighta had to do something with it.....still gonna change the plug and maybe get a header but then id need to get it right....? im new to these motor...but one more ques...and i do appreciate the advie....im changing the SWA bearings and can i use ones outta a blaster they look like theyd work just wondering ...

got the plug today so gonna see if that..makes her a little happier..but still working on these swing arm bearing :argh: can i use one outta a blaster...like i said before they look like theyd work...:atv:

Might be a good idea to pull the bowl off that carb and make sure there is no more trash that could have found it's way into the system. Seen that many times, clean a carb reinstall and debris from the tank or line gets in and stops things up. Or maybe you miss some varnish in the carb and the fresh gas loosens it up and it gets in the jets and ports. Idk if the blaster swing arm bearings are the same or not. Thing to do would be to look up the part numbers for both machines and see if they are the same. Either that or measure them, inside and outside diagmeters, and the depth of the bearing. Look it up on a yamaha parts fiche or through aftermarket, like denniskirk.

ok thanks for the input....i re cleaned the carb n it runs better.. now...now just to get this swing arm done..and dam the blaster bearings looked like they fit...i had to go the saw zaw way and cut the pivot shaft...shes in there good and not budgin for anything...soo i think im gonna try and measure the bearings and see if a hardware store or auto parts store carrys them...worth a shot and alot cheaper..since all seals are ok

If you can't come up with something soon. Go on ebay and purchase a swing arm bearing kit from east coast atv. It comes with the nut, bolt, washers, bearing, end cap seals, and spacer. And for a good price. Got mine from there.

i just got my pivot shaft straight from my dealer for 27.72 and the nut was a extra 8.00....bearing kit was 50.00 and is on the way should be here wens... so just gotta wait...im excited though...rode alot of things but always wanted a warrior never even rode iit yet or seen her all together...u guys know the mods and my other two rides are a 03 baster n a 97 timber wolf what am i in for as far as the warriorgoes

welll everything is together n took her out for a little afternoon/night riding.n she runs good...and as far as mods just looking for a little more bottom end along with some suspension upgrading...i heard u can put a raptor shock in the rear..mines a little soft....and guys the missing and cutting out was the ****** parking brake switch ....i cut those wires faster then a squirrell in a nut race. but yess any mods towards the motor would be nice...and gen1pat. i look for quality in my mods its not a mod if it doesnt last lol

True that. Most all engine mods for the warrior are very reliable. The 2 pistons to use would be wiseco and je. Both are very good. Cams, I don't think anyone makes a bad or unreliable product. Now, people will slam the hotcam, but, I have one in my bike as do several other people on here (bones and 87/917 to name a few) and have not had any issues. I've only read but 2 poor ratings by people about that cam. And the one I'm almost positive was do to improper breakin. That being said more performance/better feel can be had with a web .390 cam. Both have nearly identical specs, but the lobes are fatter on the hotcams so you can use OEM springs. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how much power you want to make. 2 things that all warrior owners should (imo) is exhaust and better intake. These engines are super corked up. Just with those 2 things alone make these bad boys rev out quicker and feel snappier. The vito's crank key works well, I have that too. There is only 1 fella and here that has had an issue with it. And it only costs $25.

i already have the megamax2 spark arrestor with the powerbomb header and a k&n filter tweaked the jets a little cant rem pilot and main sizes there written dow n somewhere now for the cam will i have to play with my timing or my jets again...also i was reading up on this new item called the INTELA-JET...but idk bout it if u havent heard of it look it up tell me what u think..i was thinkin about making an exhaust change...lookin at HMF but there prices arent to freindly...what would be my best bet on a DIY airbox mod....

Outterwears makes lid covers to eliminate the lid. That or do what I did and get Uni's 1" round vent filters. Just cut a 1" hole in the lid and drop em in. They come 6 to a pack. I like them because here in Va when it's dry the clay dust is unbelievable. It was so bad last year that under 2 shirts we were orange. You could completely eliminate the air box and do a clamp on unit. No, you should't have to do any jet work with the cam. And, unless you deck the head a lot, or run really thin gaskets, you don't have to mess with timing. Just remember that with any cam, other than hotcams, hd valve springs are needed. Also, if you go with a hardweld cam you're best to get hardwelded rockers. And, if you're going to do all that it would be best to port and polish the head. Doing that will help get theh full potential out of the cam. Like I said earlier, lots of options. If bottom end is what you want, install a higher compression piston. 10.25 and 10.5 to 1 is a nice improvement, without going crazy.

im liking the sound of that idea .....i gonna start savin and lookin but that will probably be this winters project...but while ridin todayi noticed my for left balljoint is reallllllyyyy bad....kinda pissed just started gettin all the bugs worked out...but i was lookin at my parts blaster and they both look they same will they fit...would just be nice to luck out for once till i get a parts warrior or some ext. a arms...or could i press the ball joint out and put the blaster on it in theyd almost have to be the same...ive heard the warrior hydro brakes and shocks front and back will all bolt on a blaster...anyyyyy helpp on a low budget fix would be nicee....thanks...inteliigent off road rippers...lovin the help

I don't know if the blaster arm or joint will fit. I doubt it. Also, unless you have an 87 warrior (or 88 with 87 arms) the ball joints are not replacable.

Back