Warrior Carb cleaning & idle questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAQ80

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought a 2001 warrior that had been sitting for a couple years and wouldn't start. I replaced the stator and was able to get it to start with the choke pulled out, but would die without it.

So pulled the carb, cleaned it, and installed a rebuild kit. I also drained the tank and filled with fresh premium with a little bit of seafoam. After that it started and idled fine without choke.

Now after sitting for a week it's back to not idling without choke. It'll rev up when I throttle it, but when I let off the throttle a little it'll backfire out the pipe. I'm thinking the pilot jet or passage is clogged.

I noticed that there are a couple jets that don't come in the rebuild kit and the clymers manual doesn't have you remove. I really want to put the carb body in a carb dip, but there is still a lot plastic on the carb when you tear it down in accordance with the clymers.

Have any of you dipped it before or have any recommendations or ideas on this problem. Right now my plan is just to tear it back down and clean it with carb cleaner spray and compressed air. As well as installing an inline fuel filter. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a dip before but it was specified to be ok with plastic and I did a complete tear down of the carb prior removed all diaphragm parts as well as removal of all major components in the bowl section. After that went to a local hardware store where they stock welding supply's got a torch tip cleaning set and ran the rods through the jets multiple times to insure all crud built up was removed reassembled and light a light switch she started up and ran great haven't had to mess with it since except after letting it sit 6 months Which I just had to spray the inside chamber of the bowl with carb cleaner and same response as after the cleaning

Thanks, sounds good. I did the whole teardown but only cleaned with carb cleaner spray and air. I'll see if I can find a plastic safe dip and some torch tip cleaners.

I'm not sure if it's feasible for you, but a new carb on Amazon is fairly priced. My raptor sat for a few years. I cleaned it twice but couldn't get it right. Sounded a lot like what you've described. It was much easier to spend the 70 bucks and I was riding within an hour of getting it in the mail. Now it's been a few months and still runs great except for an unrelated starter or battery issue.

Latest posts

Back