Warn 4-2-4 select problem. (I know, a shocker!)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolverine350rider

Reaction score
Well, after every wash, i give the knob and components a dose of WD-40. Well, i noticed that once in 4x4 mode, it is VERY hard to get it into 2x4. And the other day i was riding in 2x4, and came across a mud hole, and *tried* to put it into 4x4. Aint happening... I cannot push it into 4x4. I have used WD-40, and still no luck. I REALLY do not want to take it apart after only a month or 2 of usage.

What do you think?

Isn't there something in the destruction manual about an adjustment of the knob itself? I'm referring to the button actually releasing the detent ball which in turn keeps the knob from freely retracting back into 4x4 mode.

You do still have the instructions, don't you?

WD 40 may be doing more harm than good. I've found that if the o-rings inside the unit dry up, the unit becaomes difficult to operate. Plus, if the WD 40 is attracting gunk, they'll only make life worse.

I've taken my 424 apart a few times and it's now only a 5 minute ordeal. I use white lithium grease on the o-rings to keep things moving along. You'll probably want to lube the large o-ring that the brass part slides in and out of. Also, there's another o-ring that keeps the button moving correctly.

I'm having the same problem only that it is always stuck in 4x4. I guess i put too much WD 40 on it. Do you think that i have the same problem with the o rings or could it be something with those retainer balls on the selector shaft because those don't look like they are working. I don't think that it is working if you can pull the shaft out that far to see the balls anyways....how did you take yours apart?
thanks

I had the same problem...it was stuck in 4wd. My problem was actually the o-ring around the button area. The o-ring was grabbing the button, in turn this wasn't letting the small ball hold in the 2wd position.

The until is pretty easy to take apart. It literally just screws apart. You just have to be mindful not to twist the cable.

Sometimes my thumb just slips off the little yellow button and it doesn't shift in or out! :badgrin:

HAH!!!

u really should take it apart and clean everything out real well. its very easy to take apart just dont lose the 2 little ball bearings and you will be good to go. if you get mud and watter in there the ball bearings will stick and the olny way to really fix it is to take it apart. i clean everything with brake cleaner and pack some water proof grease in there and it works like brand new till a couple of rides then have to do it again. also the o-ring, on the top, that "kinda" seals things up may need to be cleaned up or replaced, ive replaced mine a few times already. the wd40 will just eat away the grease inside so i would not use that, i use some silicone spray once in a while on mine.

Be careful with the grease. I used that once and after one ride...it gummed everything up badly. :(

well not to much grease, just enough to get it moving smooth. once mine goes underwater it starts actin up, i got this waterproof yamaha grease, that has seemed to work the best.

Latest posts

Back