vitos key question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the links I put up are the ones you can get

Ive searched but cant find it anywhere, do i need to rejet for the vitos key? And if so to what? I just ordered the key and want to know if and what to jet it to. Its a stock 87 warrior with a 99 head and carb, ive already tore the carb apart and it has stock jetting.

no you do not need to re-jet for the key. it is just a timing advance key that keeps the intake valve open longer. re-jetting is only for when you put on an aftermarket exhaust, new filter, lid removal, or airbox mods. jetting is when you put bigger jets in to dump more fuel to balance out the extra flow created by any of the above. hope this helps!

does anyone have a pic?where does it go?

Goes on the drive shaft (I believe that's the correct name ) . You have to take off the stator cover (left side by oil filter) you will need a fly wheel puller to get the job done. It's fairly easy takes about 30min and you will need to drain the oil as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention i will be removing the airbox lid aswell as a higher spark coil possibly. just trying to avoid the guess work in finding the right jetting.

The key goes on the crank and it doesnt keep the valve open longer, thats the duration of the cam that controls that. The vitos key moves the flywheel 4 degrees, which moves the spark pickup 4 degrees which makes it spart sooner the motor run more efficient but slightly hotter. No jetting should have to be changed

No special adjustment like lap the fly wheel or anything.once I put in it will it keep the timing?

The key goes on the crank and it doesnt keep the valve open longer, thats the duration of the cam that controls that. The vitos key moves the flywheel 4 degrees, which moves the spark pickup 4 degrees which makes it spart sooner the motor run more efficient but slightly hotter. No jetting should have to be changed

Agree does run much hotter . Very noticeable especially on the right leg by the pipe. I would deff recommend oil cooler with this mod

Last edited:
Reading the repair manual for removing the flywheel it says i need to remove the starter and the gears in the case between the starter and flywheel. Do i really need to remove those? Ive seen pictures of the flywheel being removed with those still in place.

Also, the paperwork that came with the vitos key it says do not use a universal flywheel puller and to use one from yamaha. Is that really true?

Reading the repair manual for removing the flywheel it says i need to remove the starter and the gears in the case between the starter and flywheel. Do i really need to remove those? Ive seen pictures of the flywheel being removed with those still in place.

Also, the paperwork that came with the vitos key it says do not use a universal flywheel puller and to use one from yamaha. Is that really true?

No Need to remove the starter but when you pull the flywheel the gear that's connected to the starter gear will fall (atleast it happen to me). I used a flywheel puller off eBay worked fine

Agree does run much hotter . Very noticeable especially on the right leg by the pipe. I would deff recommend oil cooler with this mod

Power wise how does the quad run? power across all the rev range, like the banshee graphic curve, or only low down torque?
thanks

ps: a have one waiting to go in , but i still need a starter bearing an timing chain

Its not worth it alone . I think you would have to have other mods to go along with the key to feel a difference.
nevermind ... just found your post...

Its not worth it alone . I think you would have to have other mods to go along with the key to feel a difference.

Completely false, the power gain is linear with added mods

This again^^

Motors spark before top dead center so once the flame front hits the piston it's at top dead center. The flame front usually reaches the piston slightly after Tdc. What this does is make it spark sooner to try to get the piston at tdc to make a more efficient motor

nevermind ... just found your post...

I take my previous statement back I spoke to soon (spoke before installing). The mod is very noticeable by itself deff feel a power gain on the low end to mid range . If I run smaller tires 20's I think I will feel more power on the low end but all in all easy mod cheap price with a positive outcome .

How do you set the timing with one? set it on the T and the mark on the cam gear as you usely would correct? This just takes the guessing game out of trying to set your tooth forward a gear or so not useing the key, right?

Latest posts

Back