VALVE CLEARANCE

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam4by4

Reaction score
Can valve clearance being out of wack rob performance?

My machine is an 87 and Im positive this has never been checked or adjusted.

I read the tutorial and was wondering if they are out of adjust and you tune them up will you notice any gains or just not as much noise?

Im pretty sure I gave my machine its first oil change when I got it and luckily my compression was a little over 150 psi so I just wanna make sure everythings working like its supposed to.

Ive noticed it a little bit, where i noticed it the most was in jetting. When my valves would go out of wack my jetting would need to be richened more and more and more, tehn when i adjusted my vavles it was so rich it wouldnt run right. So in essence yes it does, but dont expect to notice it much.

The valve clearance does need to be done, I noticed a reasonable gain in power upon tightening mine last time.

What kinda of clearnces you guys run? Im runnen a HotCam and there specs were outragously high!!!! Noisy as hell..........I', down to like .003 and .004 or maybe it was 004 and 005.
Either way it seemd a whole lot better and quiet!!

What kinda of clearnces you guys run? Im runnen a HotCam and there specs were outragously high!!!! Noisy as hell..........I', down to like .003 and .004 or maybe it was 004 and 005.
Either way it seemd a whole lot better and quiet!!

Webcams reccomends a .003 and .004 but thats also using Ti. valvesprings. I wouldnt go much lower on the hotcams specs, they reccomend them for a reason, when i had a hotcam i think i ran it at something like .010 and .012

Yea 10 and 12 sounds like it would have muchroomed the rocker arms in no time..........lol I couldnt do it.

I dont see what there reasoning is for this. I put my machine through its paces ,alot of riding doubles on it even. Maybe cuzz of the stocks springs..............a precaution to givem a chance to cathch up b4 they float? Who knows. My machines a 87 same stock springs from then!

No problems with it at all........... ;D ;D ;D

Having the adjusters too tight will overheat the cam from almost always being in contact with the rockers. Follow the instructions or a new cam will be on the agenda or other valve train components.

Hmmmmmmmm...............I cant do it. LOL Its way to noisy.
What would be the differance between one cam or another needing so much extra clearances?

If a web cam can run at those specs with stiffer springs ,you would think a hot cam would beable to handle the same with llighter springs?

I know most cars are hydraulic, meaning they have somthing pressure on the cam at all times.
So I dunno about the over heating it part. But who knows. I'll be be e test pilot on this one.

As of now its been in there for about 2 years set at those clearances ( in the 300 mile range on trail tech)

Maybe your right but I hope not!!!

OK.......after doing some quik research. It seems that runnig tighter clearances is more risky than running loose.

For the most part it seems running loose can cause damage to the rockerarms and adjusters and such. Where as running tight can cause your vavlves to burn.

Now.......both of these seem to be from two things.........Loose comes from rocker arm / cam wear.........you can hear it happening.

On the other hand ...........your vavles can also become tighter on there own. 1 From exessive heat........( with the 003& 4 setting I have that one coverd, LOL)

2 The vavle face and seat can wear , leaving your valve sink into the head more. Actually tightening your valve clearance ,thus eventually not letting it close all the way..........causing a burt valve.

Seems as far as I can tell is...........check your valves on a regular basis...........is the key here!

If any one else has any info to add.............would be some cool knowledge to know!

Back