Ultimate Upgrade!: TRX250R

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbthreat

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I keep finding myself out at the dunes and in the desert, and the warrior just isn't cutting out there. So, last Friday I went and purchased a 1987 TRX250R. Got it for a whopping $1500, which is pretty good for around here. Needs a little TLC, but don't mind having another project.

Came with:
- Full ESR TRX5 centermount exhaust (new)
- 39mm Keihn carb w/ K&N (new)
- Boyseen Reeds (new)
- Port and polish on cylinder and jug
- Maier race front plastics
- Flame seat cover (new)
- White Power Racing piggyback shocks (need rebuild) on 1989 A-Arms
- White Power Racing rear shock w/ remote reservoir
- ITP beadlocks front and rear, w/ Kenda Dominators on rear
- Sand shark tires on Douglas .160 rims
- AC grab bar
- DG bumper
- 909 bars
- Aluminum air scoops

It's a little on the rough side, (plastics are beat up) but the motor is fresh, and pulls ridiculously strong when the powerband hits; completely different from the linear power of the Warrior.

Put on some stuff this weekend:
- Renthal Gold Chain w/ 13/39 sprockets
- Complete bolt kit
- Scotts hurricane grips
- Streamline brake pads all the way around.
- Breather tube for tank
- Coolant reservoir
- Rock e-brake block off
- Rear hubs off of an 1985 ATC250R
- Modquad case-saver
- Modquad 5/16" quick-release flag whip mount
- Shockcovers all the way around
- Swingarm stickers

Still to do:
- Needs new rear plastics (ordered)
- Mount ITP Sand Stars onto beadlocks
- Ricky Stator headlights
- Tail light

Well here she is:

Towards the end of the tear down.
IM000289.jpg

IM000290.jpg

As it sits now.
IM000293.jpg

IM000294.jpg

Man I love the 250R and they are great riding in the dunes. Two of my buddies had them and they did a fantastic job. Where do you ride at? When I lived in Cali I hit up Superstition Mt and Gordon Wells all the time. Both are awesome, highly recommended places to ride.

When I trail ride, I usually hit up the Los Padres National Forest/Wilderness; they have lots of trailheads I like to go from like Rockfront, Bollinger, Upper Oso, and Kolson Canyon. Unfortuneately they are starting to really restrict atv trail riding out there and limiting access. Other spots I try to hit are Pismo throughout the year and during the winter I shoot for Jawbone or Dove Springs out in Mojave. HAven't yet made it out to Glamis, but that is where I really want to go.

How's the riding out your way, since leaving Cali.?

Well I've only been to one track and though it was cool it wore me out...lol Tons of jumps, something I need to condition myself for. I'm hoping by this spring I'll be ready for the season, if not I'll either way have fun...

:mad:Umm what happend to loving your warrior??? I understand that you got a new bike(thats awsome by the way) but this is totaly uncalled for!!!!
jim3.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow I cant belive how you just shove it in a corner???

lol :D

Yeah...I understand that it is pretty messed up to do that to my Warrior. But in all fairness, its the only way I can fit both into my storage unit. If it makes you feel better, when I had the honda completely together they both were stood up on their asses.

Also, the Warrior is being torn down again to get painted, so she won't be completely negelected.

looks damn good. .Never seen an exhaust like that and never heard of them shocks ethier.

Thanks. I have since put on new rear plastics, sanded the tank, put on Ricky Stator lights, and just got my shocks back from being rebuilt. I'll try and get some updated pics.

Yeah, the ESR exhaust is pretty neat, but only downside is the exhaust empties onto the tail light. But the power gains are better spread around rather than on just the top end like a lot of ESR's other exhausts.

As for the shocks, they are also known as WP Racing shocks (can't call it White Power on account it's not really PC), but they are known for being used mostly on European brand bikes, primarily on KTM's and BMW's. However, I had never heard of them making any for ATV's before. Pretty cool though; I'll try and get some close ups.

I had a WP rear shock on my warrior that was originally made for a banshee. Seems like a pretty good shock and I got it for dirt cheap as far as aftermarket shocks go.

You don't get out much huh, you mean a YFZ 450 don't ya Teamexile...lol

Wait... I get it... You guys must be thinking of a 2008 Raptor 700, right? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :cool: ;)

Im with TOpDawg with this one yfz is the only way to go. I eat hondas and **** suzukis everytime Im out. I leave the raptors alone since its cruel to pick on family.

nice man you'll love it . hmmmmmm made for only 4 years and still going strong. IMO best quad in history.thats why all the newer quads are based on the geometry of the 250. if you got any problems head over to everythign2stroke lots of guys over there that know them like the back of there hand

the 350 is a little under powered. that's why I put a tt 500 in mine.

Back