turning over-slapping

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warhorserider

Reaction score
hello-new member-nw pa-just bought 96 warrior and went riding-stalled put-turning over -slapping noise-took off head--is there supposed to b a bearing on wristpin??never worked on a 4 stroker b4-piston looks very new-all rings move free-also after u take cam chain off and u turn sprocket is it supposed to tighten up and then turn easy and tighten up again?i dont know much about them or what is causing slapping noise--just want to fix it and ride--can somebody help a brother out?

That noise is probably the starter clutch if it's when you first turn it over. There is not supposed to be a bearing on there, and the chain keeps tension when you put the tensioner in, or use your finger when alligning the cam sprocket to the mark on the head. First step: download a free copy of the service manual from here or another site, you'll need it, there are some steps to take when reassembling the magneto and such.

yep thats a common problem.. its the starter clutch... nice to see someone else from nw pa here... im from lucinda....

oh yeah and the reason the cam sprocket turns that way is because of the valves opening and closing... the springs make it get "tight" if it didnt then i would be scared.... too bad you took the top end all apart, now you pretty much have to buy rings and hone it (at least)... you can do it without doing so but its not a good idea on a 13 year old engine

You shouldn't have to buy new rings but since you have it apart already, (I read that the cylinder and piston look very clean in your welcoming message) Id be smart to if you have he cash. There is no bearing on the piston wrist pin, it stays in spot when its in the jug. Starter clutch seems to be going out on everyone round here lately, hope I not next!

ok thanks guys-sounded like slapping right under gastank-?-everything else looks good in there-will update whats going on when i get to it-right now thinking about painting front suspension pieces-not bad for how old but can b better-will try uploading photo of it soon-thnks all

You probably will be!!! ;) They don't seem to hold more than a few years of regular use without starting to make the noises. What a piece of crap... Check your bore and piston to make sure it's not piston slap. When the bore becomes too worn it can enable the piston to wobble a little, I doubt if that's it but it's a possibility always.

Check out the tutorials, it's in there. You just put the web address from the pic at photobucket or such right in the middle of the img codes.

Since everybody has been having problems with their starter clutches lately i'm going to say a few things that might help.

Don't transport the quad in gear! If you do this it will greatly accelerate the wear on the starter clutch.

Don't pop start it by drifting down hills unless you absolutely have to. This also wreaks havoc on the starter clutch.

If your machine is hard to start and you have to crank it over for 3 minutes every time you start it, find out what is wrong and fix it. Fixing the hard starting problem will almost always be much less involved and cheaper than replacing the starter and starter clutch when you wear them out.

I know of at least 1 warrior from the early 90's that still has the original starter clutch in it, and it's still intact because the owner was careful and didn't do any of those things I listed above. Yamaha's starter clutches definitely aren't among the most durable ones out there, but there's no reason for one to wear out in a couple years unless it's being abused.

Latest posts

Back