Turn key off, neutral light comes on...?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeVW

Reaction score
2003 Warrior, stock.
Was riding yesterday (night 12am-2am) and stopped for a break.
I shut it off as I always do, using the key.
I noticed the green neutral light is on for some reason... I remove the key and the light is still on.

It is in gear but that shouldn't matter anyway, the key isn't even in it!
Taking it out of gear doesn't change anything.

Put the key in, turn the key on and the neutral light goes away as the headlights and taillight come on, as normal.

Turn the key off, the headlights and taillight goes out, the neutral light comes on.

Playing with it a little more... key off, light switch on low or high = neutral light on fully.
Key off... switch the headlight switch to OFF and the green neutral light is dimly glowing. Move the headlight switch to high or low, and the neutral light gets bright like normal again.... all the while, the key is off, in your pocket, etc.

Something I noticed today... the bike thinks it is in gear even when it is not, and will not allow it to start unless I pull the clutch lever in. This is normal when IN gear, but now it is making me pull the clutch to start it OUT of gear as well.

Last bit of info/clue... screwing with the wires in the back under the left rear fender (screwing with = moving, flicking around, and staring at, BTW) resulted in hearing a clicking noise. I first thought it was an electrical connection being made and broken, a little pop as it did so, but then realized it is a relay there clicking as I jiggle stuff around there.

Bike starts fine as long as the clutch is pulled in, it rides fine, lights are bright, etc... but now to shut it off and not have an electrical draw, I have to leave the key in and ON, then turn the headlight switch OFF. The key being ON makes the green neutral light go out, and turning the headlight switch off makes the regular lights go out.

If I just pull the key, the stupid green neutral light stays on. Any ideas?
I'm planning on starting around the back there where the relay is clicking around, I obviously have a loose connection in there somewhere and will fix known faults first but thought someone might know exactly what is happening here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I checked the wiring and switch visually and didn't spot anything like frayed wires or the like.
I think it might have something to do with the relay in the back clicking though...

Bump for any other suggestions, thanks!

Back