Turf Tamers what size?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93warriorridr

Reaction score
What the title says. I'm debating on what size I should buy 20's or 22's. I have 20's on my warrior right now and I like them but I dont run a swingarm skid so I could use the extra ground clearance since I mostly ride fast trails. Also I'm guessing that Turf Tamers are pretty lightweight so they wouldnt rob too much power if I went with the 22's? I could drop a tooth in the front too. The other thing I wanted to know is what size tire should I get for the front if I get 22's in the back. Could I get 22" fronts too? or would I be better of with a bigger front tire. I dont want to go too big though because of the sidewall flex.

i would get 20's for the rear and just get a samn guard..for the fronts u could use 22's with a 22 rear..that was my old set up but i like the 20's better..i ride fast trails and XC racing

All i have to say is great choice with the turf tamers great tire, cheap, strong, and light. Well for the fronts i would say stay with the 22's and for the backs i would say stick with the 20's i have the 20s diff tire though and i love them i also run no skid at the time and i ride trails all the time with deep ass ruts and it doesnt hurt anything bad at all, i have like 2 tiny dings in my disk brake but thats it.

one thing i do sugest you do is cut some of the tred out of the tamers, since the tred is so close together stock they dont grab well in loose packed and muddy turnane because they dont clean themselfs out. Ive talked to a few people that cut them and they all say the same thing, You see a really good grab coming out of turns, and the hole shots then before they cut them. But if you just riding hard packed non mudy turane i wouldnt cut them.
Heres my cuts on mine when i get them.
turftamercutouts.jpg

The black parts are the peices of tred im cutting off.

They only make 22's in 8 and 10 inch rims so if you have 9" rims your stuck with 20s.

I don't see why anybody would cut knobs off turf tamers though, it would pretty much defeat the purpose of them. The hundreds of knobs provide more traction than any other tire around, if you cut them off you might as well just get some razrs.

They only make 22's in 8 and 10 inch rims so if you have 9" rims your stuck with 20s.

I don't see why anybody would cut knobs off turf tamers though, it would pretty much defeat the purpose of them. The hundreds of knobs provide more traction than any other tire around, if you cut them off you might as well just get some razrs.

Not true, more tred means nothing, It might grip more but only in hard packed surfaces. Since the tred is so close together when you go though loose stuff or mud most of all, it gets stuck in between the tred and stays there becuase of the small surface area thats holding it in. Then since the tred is packed with mud the tire becomes usless and has no grip basicly driving on slicks.

Now if you cut some out it makes the surface area bigger that would hold mud, and when your tires spinn the mud would fling out, letting more mud get in, in turn giving you more tred for longer time. Instead of filling in and making slicks.

Also people cut them instead of buying good tires because they are like the cheapest tires ever, and there still good tires, you can just make them better without spending 200 on a set of rear tires you would be spending only 90 on a set of rears that you could probly make better then the 200 set.

[quote:pds8as2f]They only make 22's in 8 and 10 inch rims so if you have 9" rims your stuck with 20s.

Not true, more tred means nothing, It might grip more but only in hard packed surfaces. Since the tred is so close together when you go though loose stuff or mud most of all, it gets stuck in between the tred and stays there becuase of the small surface area thats holding it in. Then since the tred is packed with mud the tire becomes usless and has no grip basicly driving on slicks.

Now if you cut some out it makes the surface area bigger that would hold mud, and when your tires spinn the mud would fling out, letting more mud get in, in turn giving you more tred for longer time. Instead of filling in and making slicks.

Also people cut them instead of buying good tires because they are like the cheapest tires ever, and there still good tires, you can just make them better without spending 200 on a set of rear tires you would be spending only 90 on a set of rears that you could probly make better then the 200 set.[/quote:pds8as2f]

Basically by cutting those tires you are creating a set of klaws, the tread pattern is identicle. And for cutting tires i would use a grinder with a cutoff wheel. EXacto knives???!?!?! are you crazy not only would that take forever those things are so damn small you will snap them left and right. One thing i heard that works exceptionally well is horse nail clippers.

yeah idk about exacto knives, i actualy didnt use one when i did it, i used a dremel the whole time. Idk why but that just poped in my mind.

[quote:wwqjlqfv]I think your wasting your time
exactly[/quote:wwqjlqfv]
^^^when your poor anything that saves you money isnt a waist of time.

I say go for it..... at the outrageous prices they are trying to pull out of razrs and holeshots this is worth it.

[quote:r0shiccg]They only make 22's in 8 and 10 inch rims so if you have 9" rims your stuck with 20s.

Also people cut them instead of buying good tires because they are like the cheapest tires ever, and there still good tires, you can just make them better without spending 200 on a set of rear tires you would be spending only 90 on a set of rears that you could probly make better then the 200 set.[/quote:r0shiccg]

Im not a fan of turf tamers, I had them on my 87 warrior, But your right about cutting off lugs. It will keep the mud from staying packed in the lugs causing you to have racing slicks. Considering you can pick them up here for a whopping $35 per tire here, they will work well for little money, as long as you do like your saying. Bad thing is they puncture really easy, so keep a repair kit handy.

Back