Transmission assembly issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariiah

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been reading these forums for years but until a few months ago have not owned a warrior. I bought a 2002 and decided to do a complete teardown and overhaul. My goal is to make it look like it just rolled off the showroom floor, painted the colors I would have liked Yamaha to paint it of course lol. At this point all of the disassembly and painting is done, now it is time to reassemble.

I installed all new bearings and seals in the cases and proceeded to reassemble the transmission and install the new crankshaft etc etc. My problem comes when I put the cases together. I have the Clymer manual and the parts breakdown so I know what goes where and what spacers go here and there. When the cases are split the tranny will spin through all the gears no problem, however when it goes together the sprocket side locks up it will only turn a little bit back and forth. On the clutch side it will turn if its in neutral but if its in any gear it will lock down just like the sprocket shaft.

I have disassembled and reassembled it about 6 times now taking my time to carefully inspect and ensure that everything is perfect but to no avail everytime it goes together I get the same result. I have become a master at removing silicone from the case halves at this point. You guys don't know me since I haven't posted on here much but I can assure you that I have seen my share of torn down motors and if anything this one is about the easiest I have done. I am not new to this process, however I am new to the warrior so maybe I am missing something or there is some trick that I am unaware of.

Please treat me as if I am a noob there will be no offense taken to any suggestions that you may have no matter if they do insult my experience/intelligence. I am looking for answers here so no matter how silly you may think your suggestion is please feel free I am about to swallow my pride and carry the cases to the Yamaha dealer because I am all out of ideas.

little recap, tore it down, replaced all bearings and seals, reinstalled tranny, everything spins fine when cases apart, wont spin when they are assembled.

Thanks for your help guys

Shawn

Pm bkroll sounds like the issue with my 91 he helped with. Or one of the gears is locked up. What was the reason for the tear down

The teardown was basically to familiarize myself with the bike. I bought 2 of them, one for me and one for the wife. My bike needed new rings. I did a compression test and only got about 90 PSI without oil and 150 with oil in the cylinder. I had just bought them both so when I changed the oil for the first time I had enough metal that I could have melted it down and made my own piston!

I got on the phone with the previous owner at that point and he told me that about 2 years ago he rebuilt the top end. He wasn't the brightest cookie let me tell you. I asked him how badly the rings were worn when he tore it down. He informed me that they weren't worn, they were missing! He said that he took it to the shop and had them bore it and install a new piston and rings. He didn't tell them that the rings were gone so they did a top end rebuild and he proceeded to drive it for 2 more years until it needed rebuilt again which is the point that I got it.

I took the cases apart and found the missing rings and another pound of ground up metals, steel and aluminum all throughout the bottom end. That is the reason that I replaced all bearings and seals and I even had to replace one of the tranny shafts since one of the gears was missing teeth. The fact that this bike ran for 2 years with a set of rings getting ground up in the bottom end just goes to show how tough warriors truly are.

Sorry that I am long-winded, thanks again for the help if you guys can think of anything.

I have been reading these forums for years

THANK YOU!! i wish more people were like you

unfortunately i dont know what your issue is... are you sure it locks up? it just doesnt get really hard to turn does it?

i assume you dont have the top end on it

im not sure what the heck would change when every you put the halves together, i suppose maybe if you watch carefully when the halves are apart you might see something that moves in a way that wouldnt be allowed with the halves together

possibly the shift forks not lining up correctly...

Latest posts

Back