Tranny/clutch problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake70

Reaction score
I haven't rode my warrior in a couple months over the winter. I rode it when I got new tires for Christmas and it shifted good. A little hard but fine. I ended up breaking the linkage on the shifter and when I broke it the quad was then stuck in 2nd gear. I pushed into my barn with my clutch pulled in it worked fine. That was a few weeks ago. I go to put my new shifter on and it will shift into gear when the engine is off. But when I put it in first and I have the clutch engaged manually it's locking up. I tried playing with the clutch and nothing worked the clutch won't engage at all even when I engage it manually. I have no clue what it could be. Help please.

I grabbed the linkage to the clutch at the end of the cable and turned it myself

Yeah we pulled the arm attached to the shaft going into the case.

Does the lever on the motor move very much when you pull the lever on the bars. I'm thinking either you have slack in your cable or you might need to re-position the lever on the motor.

We tried to adjust the arm. I guess I'll just get a clutch cable and see if that changes anything

We moved the lever all over the place lol it's a weekend project

You might be able to re position the lever on the motor. Take the e-clip off and the lever should pull straight up, then turn it a bit to re align it on the shaft with the splines and push it back on. Just make sure your spring gets re connected. The lever has splines just like the shifter that you just replaced.

That's exactly what we did. Idk what it could be. The clutch just won't engage at all

Well, guess it's time to pull the cover and investigate. That sux. I hate pulling side covers.

could the clutch be froze or seized for some reason and pull starting it break it free? it will roll in neutral so im saying drag it and have him shift into gear (since even with the clutch pulled its still in gear) granted this will take place as a last resort if the new clutch cable and adjustment fails to fix the problem

Anyone got any hints on what to look for or ideas of what it could be. We are probably pulling the covers this weekend. Also anyone have any ideas on how to get a welded on oil drain plug out?

Seems to me that you have a lot of slack in the cable. You should be able to move the lever by hand infill it stops and that is where you should have the clutch adjusted to. Because is pulls farther than that. You just can't do it by hand. If this makes any sense. Sorry I had a hard time explaining it

I see what you're saying. I'll put the new cable on first and see what's up. The only thing that pointed to a problem with the clutch was when I rolled into my barn the clutch worked fine. But when I went to ride it 2 weeks later it wouldn't engage

Back