trail tech vapor on warrior??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjcornine

Reaction score
Im looking into getting a trail tech vapor unit and was wondering if anyone has one of these on the warrior or any positive or neg feedback please let me know before i waste my money. thanks!

I have one its neat, but I'd spend the money elsewhere its more of a novelty than anything else.

is the rpm's pretty accurate or not really? also does speedo work pretty decent?

The digital stuff always has more of a delay than analog stuff. You will notice a delay between when you change speed and rpm, and when the display actually reacts, especially speed. Overall accuracy and accuracy at steady speeds will be good though as long as it's set up correctly, you need to program the tire roll-out for it to meter speed correctly.

Honestly, i don't think you'll use it as much as you think you might. Like octane said, it's pretty much a novelty thing on a quad. I had a trailtech endurance on my warrior and got rid of it because it was just cluttering up space on my handlebars and the buttons stopped working right from getting packed with mud. When you're riding you just forget that you have one at all, and just focus on riding. I never looked at it at all except once in a while on a long stretch. Same thing with my dual sport bike. I use the speedo and tach on the road, like with a car, but when i'm riding off road the entire instrument cluster might as well be gone. There's too much going on when you're riding off road to pay attention to stuff like that. I'd save your money for something else unless you really think it would benefit you.

just thinking it would be nice to see what my top speed was and be able to keep an eye on the engine temp and what not. any other way to have a temp gauge on there? just looked at the vapor because it's only 100 shipped. didnt think that was too expensive. but i still need to find out if the carb is jetted or not. i know this is off topic but do you know about how much more speed you will gain by going up a tooth on the front sprocket?

i havent seen anyone else do it, but i tapped into my oil cooler lines and put an autometer oil temperature gauge in there to monitor oil temperature. i then just drilled out a hole in the fender and mounted it there. sounds rigged but it lookes awesome. one friend said it looked like it came from the factory that way. but thats just a thought. if you want some pictures, it will be 1.5 weeks till im home agian to get some.

I think that would actually be a much better way to monitor the temperature, it just wouldn't work out that well if there aren't any oil cooler lines to tap into. I don't know how the trail tech vapor would even monitor the temp on an air cooled machine, on the water cooled ones they have a sending unit that goes inline with a coolant hose.

yea yamarider you got a point, you would have to have an oil cooler in order to tap into. i dont know if the reading is off a little by having it in the lines instead of the case but it works great. i always wanted to put it in the case but i dont really want to drill a hole or rig something up in order just to have the sensor in the case. the highest i ever had the gauge go was 240 degrees which i dont know exactly how hot is to hot. i wondered myself how the trail tech vapor would monitor an air cooled engine.

Like yamarider said... they are pretty much useless. I used to look at mine to see how fast i was going but it was never accurate. diffrent days it would say diffrent speeds and whatnot. But i did get a shiny billet bar clamp out of the deal !

i forgot to get some pictures of the gauge i was talking about. not the best but i can maybe get better ones then

with the lights on
random106.jpg

close up
random105.jpg

completely dark with lights on
random111.jpg

really hard to read it in the pictures but its not that hard to see in person. works great, got it t-ed into my oil cooler lines. has been on there for about 4 years now

thanks. its a mechanical autometer gauge so all i did was drill the hole in the fender (that was the hardest part for me just for the fact i didnt want to drill a 2 1/16 in. hole in my fender) then i just got a tee that i put in my out going oil line for the most acurrate reading. then threaded the sending unit into the tee. for the light i just wired it into the quads light wires so it turns on with the lights.

i think it took 2 hours with thinking on how to do it all and then actually getting the courage to drill the hole. being my fenders are gray, i got the Ultra-Lite series autometer gauge because they have a silver background and blends in awesome in the daylight and looks great at night. the hottest reading i ever got was 240 degrees. i am going to get a pic of it in daylight then when im home again

What did you have to do to waterproof it? Most of the automotive gauges i've seen definitely weren't made to be exposed to the elements, and had all kinds of gaps for water and dirt to get in. Especially on the fender like that it would be a problem with a gauge that's not waterproofed.

i had to use a mechanical gauge but when i was installing it, i found this random cap like an oversized spray paint can cap just laying on the ground in the shop. i drilled holes in it for the wires and tubing and the mounting bracket bolts and tightened the bracket down. i then just took silicon around the edges at the fender and the holes.

but that did not stop the moisture from getting in. i actually had water inside the gauge but it has never stopped working. like i could see water sitting at the needle, but it never quite. but i never had water in it then freeze, that would probably do it in. but in 4 years it has seen a lot of water, washes, and creek riding. thats why i like autometer.

get a portable gps and figure a way to mount it to your bars with velcro straps.

those things are more accurate and quicker than most vehicle speedos.

I use one in the eagle since my speedos way out due to my tire size... 34kms = 28-29km on my speedo.. lol
I know a few other people that use the gps for speedos in jeeps and such...

I use a Magellan.. lol some come with mounting things for various methods. (mine didnt)

im just gonna get one of those electric bike speedos for 15bucks at meijer adn hook it up with the sensor ont he hub and the magnet on the rear sprocket

http://www.meijer.com/s/ventura-iv-bike-trip-computer/_/R-125739

its one fo these things, you can get them at a meijer or walmart, it works by having a magent attached to a spoke, the a little (what i guess to be an electromagnet thing attahced to two wires) that you mount on the fork, but i was just going to munt it on the sprocket hub, the way it works to tell speed is by sensing the time between the magnet going by the sensor. you program it by putting in your tires diameter, so like 20 for me, but if i wanted it to have afaster reaction time, you set it at 10in for diameter then put two magnets on oppisite sides so it would have less lag when going slow.

Back