Top End Rebuild

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjohnsey21

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for top end kits they have had experience with or recommend. I don't need anything super outrageous all the mods I have are listed below. Thanks

X2......i decided i GOTTA do my timing chain, so if im in there........................ya now.................

There are top end kits, but the pistons are usually cheap cast units. Best thing to do is get a price on boring the cylinder from a reputable machine shop. You may not have to get it bored, but until it is measured with a bore mic, you wont know 100%. Do that, then buy a wiseco or je piston and ring kit, for the appropriate size you need (stock, 83.5mm, 84mm, etc...). Get a good top end gasket kit, have the cylinder bored and honed, or just honed if you can get away with it, and reassemble. You are, however, not rebuilding the head, so it will be cheaper then you think. Best to install a new timing chain while you are in there.

Yes you should have your cylinder properly measured before deciding on what size piston you will need. Then have the cylinder bored and honed accordingly. Also make sure to have the new piston before the bore is done to maje sure the machine shop sets the proper piston to wall clearance for your new piston. Weisco uses a .002 wall clearance. Many machine shops will normally set an air cooled engine to .005 and that is to much and will cause the engine to smoke. But again every pistin manufacturer has there own spec so be sure what they want.
A stock bore is 83mm.
Most aftermarket pistons like wiesco are then measured at 83.5mm, 84mm. I think JE makes a big bore piston as well that is even bigger.

Just so you know Weisco & JE Pistons are now all made by the same company.

As for gaskets, you should use a name brand like Cometic to be sure everything seals properly.

id look at getting a timing chain to go with that ,a fly wheel pull to do it and a vito's timing key well the flywheel/rotor is off

Yea I was planning on doing a timing chain anyways. I never heard of the timing key ill look into it. thanks bones

Back