top dead center??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillon14dj

Reaction score
one way the 'T' is lined up (it stays in one spot). the line on cam gear faces down, the thing at the top of the valves are tight... you turn the flywheel again till the 'T' is back lined up (it doesnt stay in one spot it turns left, so you have to hold it there), then the line on the cam gear is lined up at the top, and the thing of the valves have some for play..?

so what does this mean? that the 't' keeps falling/turnin left. do i need to take the cam gear/chain back off and turn the fylwheel till i get the 'T' again (where it stays in one spot and i dont have to hold it), then put the cam gear back on so its lined up at the top..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf3KCAjn2Xs

That is normal for the crank to turn some. The reason it did not turn when the cam gear's timing mark was facing down is because in that postion the cam lobes are facing up, which pushes the valves open, hence not allowing any play in the rockers. With the "T" lined up and the cam gear mark lined up with it's notch, timing is correct, the cam lobes are facing down, the piston is at TDC, and there should be some play/movement in the rocker arms. You will have to hold the crank slightly for it not to move. Do that and make sure the cam marks are lined up properly. It WILL NOT be perfectly lined up with it's notch in the head. They never are, so you can expect it to be around 1/32" infront of, or behind the notch.

Last edited:
That is normal for the crank to turn some. The reason it did not turn when the cam gear's timing mark was facing down is because in that postion the cam lobes are facing up, which pushes the valves open, hence not allowing any play in the rockers. With the "T" lined up and the cam gear mark lined up with it's notch, timing is correct, the cam lobes are facing down, the piston is at TDC, and there should be some play/movement in the rocker arms. You will have to hold the crank slightly for it not to move. Do that and make sure the cam marks are lined up properly. It WILL NOT be perfectly lined up with it's notch in the head. They never are, so you can expect it to be around 1/32" infront of, or behind the notch.

ya i hold the crank to make sure the t dont move. and so the timing should be fine then? as you can see its right near the notch at the top. and theres play.. more on the exhaust side then the other tho

more on the exhaust side then the other tho

there is more play one the exhaust side cuz your exhaust valve is bent and not closing all the way that is also the reason its back firing out the exhaust ... whats happening is the all of the energy from the fuel igniting is not driving the piston down properly cuz you losing the force out thee exhaust

there is more play one the exhaust side cuz your exhaust valve is bent and not closing all the way that is also the reason its back firing out the exhaust ... whats happening is the all of the energy from the fuel igniting is not driving the piston down properly cuz you losing the force out thee exhaust

thanks for the kind answer. if i have to replace the exhaust valve i know i will proly need help. but im gonna go take the head off right now and bring it inside to make it more easy

Back