Ticking..................ugh

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk1818

Reaction score
Well I rebuilt my motor prob like 2 months ago and it ran good when i first rebuilt it but had a slight tick which I heard the 350 motors have. Well i was using 87 when i should have been putting in 93 gas due to a error in piston ordering! NOw I have the worst tick ever it sounds like a exhaust leak but i have checked all of that. Im not sure exactly what to doooo. I havnt run a full tank of 93 through it yet. DOes anyone have any suggestions and is it normal after running for maybe 5 min for you to open the dip stick and some smoke come out or the timing gear cover and some smoke come out?

Your motor will always have the loud tick if you have a higher lift performance cam, that's just from the larger lobes slamming down on the valves. Instead of gently pushing on them like the stocker it slams them to open them further and longer to increase the breathing. The spring kit is required with the kits so the valves can close fast enough once the lobe passes. Since the springs are much stiffer you'll naturally hear much more noise from them. Are you sure your valve lash is adjusted correctly??? Don't worry about the octane, you should be able to run midgrade or so with 10.75 even. If you are running too low of octane the motor will make a pingy noise and not a clicking noise. It'll sound like tinny explosions are going off in your motor. You have to check the valve lash frequently after the rebuild since your cam is breaking in, just open up the caps and tighten the screws so that the lash is back in spec, that is more than likely your problem.

i dont have any after market cams jsut a wesico piston thats all.......im running .004 on the intake and .006 on the exhaust that ok?

That should be fine, the ticking is normal regardless if you have a aftermarket cam or not. The aftermarket ones are simply louder. Be sure you didn't have the feeler guage at an angle when you measured it, if you don't pull on it completely straight it'll cause drag like it's tight enough.

Ok Ill check them again when i get home from work but it didnt tick this bad when i first rebuilt it.....would it help to step each one up a notch or 2 like .006 and .008?

ok i have adjusted my vavles and still have the ticking any more advice or ideas of what it would be?

You'll always hear the tick, warriors are notorious for it, it's normal. Don't increase that gap, just leave it as is. Increasing the gap will make it tick louder, while decreasing it will overheat your cam and rockers, and more than likely damage both.

pull your cam cover , start the bike and make sure the top end is getting oil.....with the cover off and the motor running....it should splash a little bit wround the chain.

Just undo the oil pressure check bolt so that it is a little loose, oil should start to seep out.

When you're looking at the port for the intake (standing behind the grab bar), look up and to the right, it's in the very corner. It is a little hex bolt that can be turned with a screwdriver also. It also goes perpendicular to the head bolt there and runs right into it.

Well I went riding sat and we rode pretty hard but i took times to let the 4 wheeler cool down, due to the fack that it seemed like it was running hot. My friend that rode behind me said it smelt like i was burning something, if that helps diagnois anything. Im going to check on things a little more today again, after work!

ok i lossened the oil pressure bolt and no oil came out and i even too it out and no oil came out of the top end.....now what?

Back