throttle

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrock420

Reaction score
i was just wondering if any of you... use the twist throttle? i do i think thumb throttles r painfull ha

91warrior uses a twisty. I'm in the process of upgrading in the throttle department. 400ex housing with a trx90 lever.

yea like deadlast said i do. when i first got the warrior it had it and i absolutely hated it but wanted to ride and after a few days i loved it. dont think i could ever go back.

deadlast the sounds interesting. youll have to let us know how that works out.

TRX90 is a little kids bike, so the throttle is really long, it gives extra leverage (think, kids have weak little thumb muscles) And the ex housing because at allows for a full side throttle pull and also you can swap the trx90 lever into it for the leverage. The Edle carb is a thumb muscle killer. If anyone find these items for sale, lemme know. If you don't get thumb muscle fatigue, no need for this mod.

Gunna have to get an aftermarket ex housing cover though, no way I'll willingly rock a Honda stamped cover on my Yami! Yamaha for life!!!!

I never understood how a thumb throttle could be so fatiguing for so many people. I ran ride all day and the last part of me that ever gets tired or sore is my thumb, I don't get it. Even with the stock throttle assembly and edelbrock carb it was never an issue. I really don't like twist throttles on quads, they're fine on bikes because you never turn the handlebars far, most of your cornering is leaning, but on quads if you ride in tight trails the twist throttle is just asking for trouble. At least for me it's natural motion for my wrists to twist a little when the handlebars are turned hard either direction which makes it kinda shitty trying to maintain steady throttle.

You must not be riding hard enough. hahahah, I'd like to see you xc race for an hour and a half straight, stop/go tight woods style on my quad and then tell me your thumb is fine afterwards. My hand literally goes numb after an hour or so, last few laps my times go in the crapper.

during our yfm350 ride, i did mess with deadlast thumb throttle and it was the stiffest thumb throttle i have ever felt. i can understand why he's looking to upgrade.

I did find my throttle a little stiff when I first got it,put an extension on it for the wife and it made a big differance. Anyone have any experiance with a Dual Gasser throttles?They look like they might be a good setup for longer runs.

HAH, thanks for the validation 91. I really wish my carb was tuned in like yours though (ever find out what needle is in that thing? How far out is your pump screw?)

Duel gasser....never remembered that, I wonder how well and easy it is to switch between the two?

deadlastracing said:
You must not be riding hard enough. hahahah, I'd like to see you xc race for an hour and a half straight, stop/go tight woods style on my quad and then tell me your thumb is fine afterwards. My hand literally goes numb after an hour or so, last few laps my times go in the crapper.

I don't know, when I ride hard my hands to get pretty sore/stiff after hanging onto the handlebars for an hour or 2 but the thumb throttle is the last of my worries at that point, it's pretty much every other finger that is taking the abuse. There have been times where my hands hurt so bad that I stopped using the front brakes and the clutch and just shifted on the fly and used the back brakes, my thumb still worked great as far as i can remember though.

I don't get out to ride much anymore so i'm never really conditioned like somebody would be that rode every weekend, but after about 3 hours on the track I want to keep on going but damn near every other part of my body is so beat down that I'm literally almost falling off the quad and at that point I have to flag myself before I **** up.

Maybe I can actually get this track built in the spring/summer and then i'll have a way to keep myself conditioned a little better. Hopefully it'll happen and not just lose interest and become forgotten like some of our projects end up.

thanks deadlast, i still have a fine tuning to do. it has a bad hiccup from idle to WOT especially in cold weather. messed with the pump a good bit but cant seem to get rid of it. the needle is what was shipped in it. carb was pretty much tuned when i got it, messed with the needle height and attempted with the pump screw and thats all i have done to it. so what ever size needle it was shipped with is whats in it which i cant remember off hand (numbers 16 or18 are coming to mind). id have to look to see what the spare needles are to see whats in it. i havent messed with it for almost 3/4's of a year now.

i get what your saying yamarider. ever since college i hardly get to ride much now and i cant ride nearly to what i could and i find myself getting fatigued faster than before. wouldnt give riding up for anything though. but i guess i have gotten pretty far off topic, sorry for hijacking

YamaRider said:
I really don't like twist throttles on quads, they're fine on bikes because you never turn the handlebars far, most of your cornering is leaning, but on quads if you ride in tight trails the twist throttle is just asking for trouble. At least for me it's natural motion for my wrists to twist a little when the handlebars are turned hard either direction which makes it kinda shitty trying to maintain steady throttle.
ha i had that problem when i started riding bikes, i had a tendency to twist down in the turns and i kept falling off the back lol

Heard that! I've been riding my my boys bike regularly and i still find my self still pullin' that move.....always wear your gloves,haha

A little update on the Honda throttle mod.

Stock honda lever is on the left, same length as yami. 90 throttle is on the right
P3090201.jpg

This step is for the Edlebrock to go to WOT (had to do it on the stock housing too
P3090203.jpg

Need to grind that crap off there
P3090206.jpg

Back