thoughts on raptor 660s

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior87sambo

Reaction score
hey guys im looking at one of these, maybe buying i next week. just wanted to know the pros and cons to these things. its got a k&n, hmf exhaust, and pro-tapers. its a 2004 btw. thanks!

i think there okay quads. perfect for the trails. they can be made fast too, but they are top heavy from what i hear. good all around atv though. the 700 blows them away though by far.

They're decent. One way's go bad on them if it hasn't already been done. Suspension is HORRIBLE, and the overall geometry is pretty bad. They also sit way too high and narrow stock.

With that being said, they're a pretty solid base, and there is a lot of room for improvement. You can get aftermarket parts for good prices right now, lots of people are parting them out.

Way behind the Raptor 700 overall...

i rode one on Saturday and i liked the way it felt and the price ($2000). but i did notice it is top heavy. i also like the trx450r. just trying to make up my mind since im not in a huge hurry and i dont wanna be fixing it all the time. i would rather be upgrading and modding haha. the thing i dont like about the 450r after working on it is that its a pain in the ass to work on lol. id love yalls opinions and previous experience with these two.

imo, i wouldn't bother with an 04-05 450r as they are the kickstart model. they are decent, but 06+ has electric start and the better fcr carbs, plus higher comp piston from the factory. my cousin has an 08 model with the big 3 mods and it is a potent bike without breaking the bank so to speak. i feel they are more reliable too than the other high strung 4 pokes out there. i'd take the 450r over the 660 myself, but remember the r's don't have a reverse in them. dunno if thats a deal breaker or not.

also, i don't think the r is no more of a pain than anything else to work on. it only has a unicam setup. not like a semi complicated dual cam setup.

yeah i was def thinking 06 or newer. but i know they dont have reverse which sucks but its not a deal breaker i guess. and does the 660 have it??

I got a 660 last June and it has been my favorite machine by far. I have had 2 Banshees, a Blaster, a Warrior, and a Raptor 350. The 660's are top heavy. I put +2 arms and YFZ shocks on mine and it helped tremendously. It aint a YFZ 450 in the trails by any means, but is still fun to trail ride. Where they shine is the hill climbing torque. I love to explore and climb and the 660 fits that bill for me perfectly. I haven't ridden a 700 but I see that they went with the YFZ style front end on them and that had to help tons.

They're decent. One way's go bad on them if it hasn't already been done. Suspension is HORRIBLE, and the overall geometry is pretty bad. They also sit way too high and narrow stock.

With that being said, they're a pretty solid base, and there is a lot of room for improvement. You can get aftermarket parts for good prices right now, lots of people are parting them out.

Way behind the Raptor 700 overall...

Agreed ! Raptor 700 FTW ! :tup:

ok. so from what im getting the 660 is top heavy, and has a shitty one way, the 450r only 2006 and up have electric start. anybody got any dirt on the ltz400??

ok. so from what im getting the 660 is top heavy, and has a shitty one way, the 450r only 2006 and up have electric start. anybody got any dirt on the ltz400??

wish i could help you on the ltz. i've had mine long enough, but haven't been interested in learning about it. just riding lmao!

I had a 2005 LTZ400. Rebuilt the top end, installed exhaust and pro flo intake. What do you want to know?

I agree with beast. It feels top heavy and don't handle well. Great power though. The OEM valves tend to cup out and make it hard to start. That's why I rebuilt mine.

The valves cupping out is a common thing on many brands. It has more to do with our shitty fuel these days than the valves themselves. So far every 660 I have been into has been that way too. Did a couple Honda's recently and they were the same. One had steel valves and one had titanium and they both did it.

i've had a long list of quads and my favorite that i've personally owned is the ltz's had 2! a '04 kfx and and '06 ltz. the only real problem with the ltz is the valve cupping.. they have soft valves. a good set of after market valves is a fix and they dont seem to cup after market valves. i love the power! i had a 440 kit and +1 valves in one of mine and it was a rocket ship on wheels!i love the way they set and feel. my next quad will be a kfx450! electric start AND reverse ;)

Latest posts

Back