Thinking of buying a wolverine

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbrownjr

Reaction score
To make a long store short the Wolverine makes sense for me being that I love to ride trails but on the flip side like to use the ATV for other purposes that requires having a utility. I like the fact Yamaha has a machine that can do both. I am riding a Honda 350 rancher now and looking to buy another ATV.

I need some help. The Wolverine's made in the last few years are fully automatic where I have been using the manual shift on Honda. Are there any power or speed issues using the fully automatic. I do not mind shifting and wish they had a manual shift. I like to be able to use each gear to it fullest and I would think going to fully automatic would not use the engine to its fullest. Anybody have any comments? How does teh Wolverine compare to Sport ones since its in between sport and utility?

Also, in some of the pictures I did not see a throttle lever. Do you turn the grip?

Does anybody know how the speed compares to a sport.

This site is great and there is great information but before I make the investment I want to make the the right decesion. Any help is definently appreciated.

What is great about this bike. I own an 03 350 it's stock except for the exhaust. My opion in that it does everything good. It's not a sport bike. it does 60 easy at 3/4 throttle. but it's utility on a diet. it's light so you can man handle it, and it responds. i have been able to out run a 500 sportsman, not by much, but i'm always in front my half a bike at least. tight trial rideing i still havent met anyone that can keep up. (I'm sure there someone out ther). it's one hell of a bike. It's not an full sport or full utillity. But be when you go out with people that has choosen one or the other you'll be able to keep up and out preform most.

Unless your in the desert and everyone is rideing raptors. eh...

thanks for the response. Since the 05 and later I believe have a spedometer how fast in average is wolverine 450?

I can't say my 350 4x4 does 60. It may do 60 tached out in 5th...but that's giving it everything it has. I'd say It'll cruise around 45 in 5th at 3/4 throttle. I don't ride a lot of wide open areas and I don't have a speedo to measure.

One of my only minor complaints with my machine is 5th gear....it needs a 6th. :D

The wolverine 450 gets up to speed pretty quickly, most of them seem to top out at about 53-55 mph. They handle better than a full on UTE but not as good as a Sport. But that is how they are designed, you can slide them jump them(within reason), ride wheelies and then go out and hit a mudhole or cross a handlebar deep creek.

Its the best of both worlds.

I have always used a clutch or manual shift...do you feel the wolverine being fully automatic is con to those who have used the manual method of shifting.

well all I used to have is full clutch motorcycles and dirtbikes, I still have autoclutch atvs, but I actually really enjoy the fully auto on the new wolvy.

ON A FULLY STOCK WOLVY DONT EXPECT MUCH MORE THAN 50MPH, OTHER THAN THAT I AM PLEASED, NOT THAT GREAT IN DEEP THICK MUD, BUT I FEEL THAT IS MOSTLY DUE TO THE STOCK TIRES NOT THE BIKE. CHECK OUT THE PICS IN THIS FORUM FOR YOUR RACK OPTIONS, I OPTED TO BUILD MY OWN BUT THEY ARE AVALIBLE FROM CMP

Hey Jeff, welcome aboard, good to see another person interested in the Wolverine, its a great bike. I personally have the older style 350cc manual version, and absolutely love it. It isnt the quickest ( tops out at 84kph/ 53mph) but I rarely ever top it out anyhow, I'm generally up to the seat in the muskeg and ponds. Its light weight makes it extremely easier to work once in the thick mud, and if you do get stuck you can just get off and pick it up out of the rut. It has full sized racks front and rear, though you dont wanna load them up to heavily,at least you get alot of utility out of it (and they're great for jumping on to keep it from getting stuck). I'm partial to the 5 speed myself, I dont have to worry about getting a belt wet, or having to flange up three snorkels, and its fun to just cruise around revvin it up and jammin gears while everyone else is droning along on thier autos. While I havent driven the newer auto 450 version (I've been on quite a few autos from the 450s to 800s), personally I would opt for the 1995- 2005 version, you'd end up saving alot vs. buying new. If you do go that route, though, budget for a Warn 4-2-4 Select ( gives you the ability to convert it from full time 4x4 machine to a 4x4/ 2x4), its probably the only thing Yamaha got wrong on the bike's design. Oh, and if you're really planning on thrashing it, a set of LIGHT 25" mudders and a HighLifter Detroit Gearless Locker for the front diffy, as well as the typical Stage 1 upgrades ( air filter, carb kit, exhaust, clutching). Wow, I can ramble on. Anyhow, welcome aboard, I'm sure which ever version you end up choosing will be an awesome bike!

Latest posts

Back