Thinking about getting another project quad and I need some advice

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm going to sell the blaster and get another project quad. I want to get a quad with a more modern suspension then the blaster and warrior. I might end up keeping it if I like it and I may have to sell the warrior if I decide to keep it :eek: I really want to try and keep the warrior though. I was thinking I would get a raptor 660, ltz400, kfx400, or a 400ex. Which has the best riding suspension and comfort? I'm not too concerned about power as much as suspension. Also is there any issues with any of these? Which one do you prefer?

Also will a warrior with a works rear shock and yfz450 front shocks and +2 a arms be comparible or better riding then a 660 or z400 or 400ex?

Kfx is made by Suzuki the kfx is the exact same bike as the z400 and those are gonna be your far best bet out of that list they will eat a 400ex alive. A ex is a glorified warrior without reverse if you want more modern kfx or z alllll they way they are damn nice quads

Kfx is made by Suzuki the kfx is the exact same bike as the z400 and those are gonna be your far best bet out of that list they will eat a 400ex alive. A ex is a glorified warrior without reverse if you want more modern kfx or z alllll they way they are damn nice quads

How bad are the frame issues on the Kawasaki kfx/Suzuki z400 under normal riding condition? And is the suspension good? Thanks

+2 arms, elka shocks and yfz spindles and I love the handling. Love it way more than the z we have

Ella are a bit out of my budget lol. Did it handle close to a 400 ex? Thanks for the advice.

Well, even with the works it handled good. It stays really flat in the turns. Problem I have with z's is they sit way too high. Would be ok if you're taller though

Well, even with the works it handled good. It stays really flat in the turns. Problem I have with z's is they sit way too high. Would be ok if you're taller though

If I bought used works shocks would they have to be rebuilt and set up by works for my weight ? Thanks for the advice. I'm 5' 11.5" so a z should be ok?

You would probably be ok with a z. Keep a close eye out, you can usually find a nice set of works in your weight range for a descent price.

Thanks for all the advice I found a used works rear shock for a warrior for $375 is that a good deal? Does the z have better suspension or a does a 400ex have better suspension?

A 400ex is a glorified Warrior??? No, completely different bike. More displacement, Radical Four Valve Head, far and away better chassis, much better seated position and ergos... Simply put, it's a Honda. Love my Hondas :) You just can't go wrong with a 400ex.

A 400ex is a glorified Warrior??? No, completely different bike. More displacement, Radical Four Valve Head, far and away better chassis, much better seated position and ergos... Simply put, it's a Honda. Love my Hondas :) You just can't go wrong with a 400ex.

How is the stock suspension on a 400ex

How is the stock suspension on a 400ex

It holds it's own on the trail. But, it has old school shocks. Especially up front, and upgrading them would be best. 450r front shocks have become a fairly common thing to swap into them. They too are old school in comparison to the other 450's, but, are supposed to be a good improvement for the old EX.

It holds it's own on the trail. But, it has old school shocks. Especially up front, and upgrading them would be best. 450r front shocks have become a fairly common thing to swap into them. They too are old school in comparison to the other 450's, but, are supposed to be a good improvement for the old EX.

Is it better than a warrior with banshee shocks all around?

Thank for the advice guys, I think I'm leaning toward the 400ex or z400, maybe a 660 but I'm not sure. Does the 400ex have any problems with the dry sump oil system?

You won't go wrong with either of those 3. In stock form the EX's oiling system is sufficient. There are a few companies that make an oversized oil tank/cooler that works well, and if adding more power to the EX you may want to look into it. Otherwise the engine is about as bulletproof as it gets. By the way, I think Denniskirk has Works front shocks on sale for the EX and Z.

Back