Things to consider........

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boargaurd

Reaction score
Okay here is the deal....
I know this is YFM Central and will probably get biased opions but be truthful and don't hold back. Need to know what everyone thinks?

Here it goes,
A buddy of mine is wanting to get back into wheelers since I recently aquired a 97 Warrior. BUT, he has to have the best, fastest, better than anyone *you get the picture. Now, he is looking at the Honda 450r for $6400 (new) for the money he could get a Raptor 700. What are the differences in the two besides cc? What should he look for when buying a new atv? I tried to talk him into a used one, but he will not have it any other way, wants warranty, blah, blah, blah. Okay enough bashing my buddy. Really Kaw, Yam and Hon are all good bikes and have been around the block a time or two. If you had the 7 grand to spend , what would you buy, with what options? Help us out pros...... *its not my money....

Well, he needs to consider what the most type of riding he will be doing. The 450's are generally designed and built for the track. That doesnt mean it cant be used as a trail bike. The raptor 700 on the other hand can be used on the track but with it being a little bigger than the 450's it lacks the nimbleness that the 450's have. I am a raptor 700 owner and I ride lots of trails and fields. With only aftermarket wheels and tires it handles suprisingly well. I jump it to and to me it handles it well with the stock suspension setup on it. I know some upgrades would really improve its jumping capabilities. The torque and power of this machine amazes me still to this day. I feel very comfortable on this quad and have no problems riding long hours at a time on it. Now I cant tell you which one to get because they are both great machines. Just try to make your judgment on what type of riding you will be doing most. Good luck with your decisions. :)

if he really wants a 450 that can ripp when worked look for a leftover 05 450r.... best, most reliable 450 motor that puts out the most with work. byrd was getting close to 69 on his 05 motor this year. no stock bike is the fastest possible, so a new bike may not be the best choice.

As far as the stock 450r goes, the shocks, handling and overall fit is top notch and its good to know you have a honda under you. the 06-07s have a few downsides

if he wants pure bread low end and muscle a 700 is the obvious choice. will he be jumping 50 feet? point out the obvious; what do you really need. reverse and comfort are valuable to most people so think before you do something.

If it was me i would look for a used 450. you can get a worked race ready bike for 6 thousand. dealers will bury you with after msrp tags. if you have the cash buy it used, and done. you will eventually mod the hell out of both so why not pick up what some idiot who cant keep the bike anymore has set up for you.

personally i believe all the 450s are great stock. i picked the 450r for its overall capibility. plus it suited my needs. think about what his needs are/ where he rides before he slips and chooses wrong.
info is readilly availible here so just ask away.

He is not going to be racing a circuit only trail riding and small jumps. Really just out for fun stuff on some weekends. I don't fault him for wanting a new one but he and I both know the deprciation factor on these little units.

The 450r is definitly smaller of the two so it should be nimble enough to move around. I only put the 700 as a comparison based on closenest of price, MSR..... If you have another atv you would recommend, please do so.

Well my $7 grand is going towards the KTM Outlaw 525. Actually just $6799. I have the one my dealer is getting reserved with a deposit on it. Met a guy with a 500 Outlaw on the trails and that thing was fast as hell. Just skimmed over all the rough trails while everyone else had to pick their lines. Straight line drags he was beating some pretty impressive bikes.

I wanted a 700r SE but my local Yamaha dealer is in severe need of a cornesectomy to get that corn cob removed from their ass. Would not budge off of MSRP ($7600 +).

Latest posts

Back