Temp gauge anyone?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolvydude

Reaction score
My newest and soon to be my favorite mod. I just finished installing a temp gauge designed for air-cooled engines. After doing a lot of research I learned that cylinder head temperature is far more accurate than oil temperature when it comes to measuring engine temp on an air cooled engine. It is the prefered method on air-cooled Porsche's, VW powered dune buggy's, and other high performance applications. I found a complete kit designed specifically for atv's that included the thermocouple, harness, gauge, and gauge pod. The install was a breeze and the gauge works better than I ever thought it would. It is very sensative/quick to react to temperature changes in the engine. To test it, I checked the temp reading at the base of a long hill-climb (reading 280 degrees), went like hell up the hill, and then checked the reading at the top (now reading 310 degrees). The gauge rose 30 degrees in the process of climbing the hill, that's ultra-fast reaction time for the gauge. I was really impressed. I need some more time riding with the gauge to figure out what my normal operating temp is. This thing will be real nice to have this summer when it's 95 degrees outside and I'm wondering how my engine feels about it. Here's some pics:

post34_1.jpg

post34_2.jpg

post34_3.jpg

I should add that I had to move the gauge about 3/4" to the rear after those pics were taken because the bars were kissing the gauge at full lock.

That's a cool mod! Where does the sensor install on the head? From that last pic, it looks like from the sparkplug hole? Where did you pick it up?

As far as I know, you are the first person that has installed a temp gauge on a Wolverine 8). I like the idea so much that I have added a temp gauge to my wish list. Which company is making the gauge?

Glenn, the thermocouple lead has a ring terminal on the end of it that the spark plug passes through, so the plug becomes the fastener at the engine. The ring terminal is only 1/32" thick (yet very sturdy, repeatedly removing the plug shouldn't damage it in any way) so it won't affect the plugs reach in the cylinder head.

The kit is available from Highlifter.com in their on-line store. They are the only company offering one tailored for atv's that I know of. The best part is the price: $43 + shipping. After seeing this kit first-hand, I would pay 4x that amount and still feel good about it.

All the components in the kit are made by ISSPRO. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and am very familiar with their parts as their name is well known in the industry. It's quality stuff. How highlifter can offer the kit so cheaply is a mystery to me, but I'm not complaining.

Trail Tech makes one as well. Actually its a speedometer, tach, temperature gauge and odometer. It is labeled under the Vapor name and it is a computer with digital readout. http://www.trailtech.net/75-2013.html Can be found at RockyMountainatv.com, you will have to order it under a Yamaha Warrior, according to Trail Tech they share the same kit! Ive seen these in action and im impressed. The temperature sensor is a ring terminal that fits around the sparkplug.

The Vapor has an AIR temp sensor. It specifically states it does not have an engine temp sensor in the description. Can you add one? It's pretty vague about it in the description. How accurate is it? I would need way more info before I dropped $120 on it. I know from other's experiences, Trailtech's speedometers have been "interesting" in terms of accuracy. If it ain't accurate or consistent, it ain't worth having. I don't know for sure though, I'm just going on what others have posted in other forums. It may work really well, I don't know...

The Vapor does have an ENGINE temperature sensor along with an air temp sensor, there must be a typo on the trailtech webpage. As far as speed they send detailed instructions with their units and it lists several ways to calibrate the speedometer for accuracy. Severial guys I ride with have these on there atvs and Ive been considering getting one for a while. As far as price, last I looked they are going for less than 110$ shipped from rockymountainatv.com. I know the posted link is for a Warrior, but the Wolverine uses the same kit! This is the kit my buddy runs on his 03 Wolverine. I do question how accurate any engine temperature gauge connected to the sparkplug can acutally be? Trail tech also offers kits for liquid cooled atvs that includes a inline coolant temperature sensor which would be nice if only liquid cooled. :?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/pro...vTitle=Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=14779

Latest posts

Back