Suspension for an 87

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THORrider05

Reaction score
I breifly looked but couldnt find anything for a 1987, so what im asking is what/ who makes longer front arms for a 1987 warrior. I aslo have a 1999 and mainly find parts for that year but that quad is no longer going to be rideable so i only have my 87. I have read that yamaha changed alot of things from the 87 and 99 so im trying to figure out what all is available for the first gen. What can be done to the suspension for the 87? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated thank you ahead of time.
:atv:

nobody makes aftermarket arms for the first gen warrior. you need to make your own custom ones. gen1pat is going to make some upper a arms for us first geners so we can flip our rims.

Any idea of how much he'll be charging for them, and how much over they will be? Ive seen some other kits with heims in place if the bushings, so my question is could i use those and just get different mis-alignment spacers or what all is different?

After market arms can be had but its a bit of a experiment no one has tried.

You use aftermarket400ex lowers and 2nd gen uppers and boom longer aftermarket arms.

You can do the 400ex lower swap..
We've been all over that for awhile around here, but no one has tried it yet. You have to use the 2nd gen Warrior uppers.
Although others have said the +2 uppers will work with the +2 400ex lowers, my measurements say otherwise. You'll have to get +3 lowers, and order your tierods after you get measurements with the arms on the quad. Just make sure you ask for the Yamaha style ball joints for the lowers.
IMO the MX arms are the best bang for your buck as well. :tup:
ASR can set you up, call Mike at 435 577-2266 if your interested.

Damn I got beat bad on that by weston. I went to the site to look up the number, and got hung up looking at the arms. lol

Thanx for the info, as for the tie-rod issue i can just fab up my own. Thats the easy part lol. I have good fabrication skills as ive built a few class 5 cars and a one-off A-Armed 2000 body style bug, its the front suspension geometry i dont want to spend my time figuring out although i have thought about it and shouldnt be to hard with what i already know. If i were to go with longer arms what shocks or length would i need to run?

nobody makes aftermarket arms for the first gen warrior. you need to make your own custom ones. gen1pat is going to make some upper a arms for us first geners so we can flip our rims.

Or just flip the wheels with the stock arms... I did that with my 1st 87 warrior and ran it like that for over 5 years with 0 problems.

i have +3 a arms ... hahaha ... yeah so why dont you just swap frame with the 99 then you have all you options the 2nd genners have

i have +3 a arms ... hahaha ... yeah so why dont you just swap frame with the 99 then you have all you options the 2nd genners have

What arms do you have? The 87 is "mine" and the 99 is "my dads and stepmoms" thats one reason why im using the 87. Another is the previous owner welded the nerfbars on and i dont want to grind them off and re-weld them on the 99 plus i dont want to swap motors

What arms do you have? The 87 is "mine" and the 99 is "my dads and stepmoms" thats one reason why im using the 87. Another is the previous owner welded the nerfbars on and i dont want to grind them off and re-weld them on the 99 plus i dont want to swap motors
His arms are some fancy "one off's" that someone on here made...

As for flip'n the rims, it's just how it sounds. You flip them around so you have a negative offset. You have to drill a hole for a new stem, and flip the other one upside down to clear the rotor.. But it widens the stance a lot. I did it on my quad.

His arms are some fancy "one off's" that someone on here made...

As for flip'n the rims, it's just how it sounds. You flip them around so you have a negative offset. You have to drill a hole for a new stem, and flip the other one upside down to clear the rotor.. But it widens the stance a lot. I did it on my quad.

Im more looking for more travel vs just wider stance. I really dont want to drill a hole in my new rims.

If you want longer travel and not just wider stance get long travel400ex lowers and 2nd gen uppers. But then you will need to measure how long of shocks you need.

What years are 2nd gen to be exact? For the uppers would they be stock or LT uppers to match the lowers?

Back