sub's and amps

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotphil

Reaction score
ok guys i just got my truck, and i saw another post and it looked like a few guys on this board know what they're talkin about, so i need some help w/ this.
i'm wanting about a 10-12in. sub that will put out some hard hittin ****, i don't really like rap i'm more into hard rock, and i'ma make my own box, what kinda amp/ sub do you guys recommend, and do you have to have an aftermarket stereo to hook an amp up to???

I've always been an Infinity kind of guy when it come to subs and amps. They aren't the loudest on the market but they have one of the crispest sounds you can get. Of course their quality hasn't been what it used to be the last year or two. I still think you would be happy with them overall.

As for the head unit, you will more than likely have to run an aftermarket unit. Your amps will be running RCA lines and most stock units do not have any sub connection ports. Also a better head unit usually has its own amplifier built in (usually four channel) so you can put more power and therefore more sound to your speakers. Your going to want that power if you want to hear anything over you bass, or at least to fill in the sound.

Just my $.02.

No factory stereo's have RCA outputs on the back for adding an amp. However you can buy a device called a Voltage Divider and ass RCA cables to your stock unit.

guys i need some help still, i'm lookin for a 10 in sub but i don't know **** about the amps and stuff, heres what i was lookin at, can you guys tell me if this will work out good??? and what is better 2ohms or 4 ohms??

Remove

Save to Wishlist

Alpine MRP-M450 400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
Yes $199.99

» Add ServiceNet Replacement Plan

» Add Accessories

Remove

Save to Wishlist

Alpine Type-R SWR-1042D 10" Dual 4-ohm Component Subwoofer
Yes $179.99

» Add Accessories

check out sonicelectronix.com thats where i get all my stuff from and its like half the price of crutchfield.

as for the aftermaket stereo if u got an older car i would replace the cd player just because it would make a hugge as difference in sound quality but u dont have to. as for ohms that doesnt matter its there for wiring purposes. just search crutchfield for wiring diagrams and put in the info of the sub ur lookin at and itll show u what ohm the amp will run at and how to wire the amp to ur sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2gxOGRA3Tvv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=113KAC8103

i'm having trouble figuring out the amps and stuff, but theres two that i'm lookin at, i wanna try to keep the price under 200

those amps r really good and r a little underrated on their power (meaning it puts out more than the manufacturer says) and would prbly be too much power for the alpine type r 10 u were lookin at. i would stay with this amp.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6470_Alpine+MRP-M450.html

well guys i got a new cd player, and i got a 10 in. type s sub, i've got to make the box and get an amp still tho.

How big of an amp are you looking for. I sold a buddy of mine a pioneer 250 watt amp awhile back and he never paid me so I am fixing to repo it.

well i think i'ma need one a little bigger than that, idk tho, what kinda sub did you use it with when you had it?

something ive seen alot of people overlook is having a proper sized box for the sub, its not necisary but ive found a proporly sized box for the sub can help increase the sound and tune it so it sounds better than just a sub slaped into a box. some subs come with a listing of what cubic foot box is recamended for the sub.

but like i said its not necisary and if your tight on space it may not be an option.

power is not the most important thing. the correct enclosure for the sub is. I used to do IASCA SPL DBA competitions. I had 2 12in Rockford HX2 DVC's with 1600 watts RMS going to them. (audiobahn 2200hc amp) Hit 146.7 db in my celica GT-S in a ported box. Not too bad.

I installed a system in my GF of the times Blazer, 1 walmart pioneer 12... 150 watt max rockford old school amp. and a ported q logic box. Hit 135 db in her blazer.

Moral of story, the tighter the box the more power needed for tight sound quality. if you wanted it to just boom, port the box and it wont need as much sound.

also for an amp, I like to get one that is slighty under the sub for power, that way you can play hard for a long time and you run a lower risk of blowing the sub due to to much power. and most amps have heat sensors that shut them off if they get to hot.

not sure if any is still interested in this subject or not, but i have 2 jl 12's, driven by a kenwood 1000watt rms excelon amp, that runs off of a 2 farad cap. and alpine head unit all jammed in my regal, it sounds great with korn, disturbed, seether u know, not into rap either, but i got the amp for nothin, cuz a shop lost the one they were fixing for me, but i think its only 250 bucks, everything else is cheap, except i got the head unit with the subs for free, but i think its just a regular box

Latest posts

Back