Stupid mistake

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancientone899

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I just got my 99 warrior from my parents house after it's been sitting under their deck for like 5 years. I had to rebuild the carb which was semi successful, however when I went to jump the quad (since there was no battery in the quad) I accidently crossed the wires... very stupid I know.

So now the problem is the light won't even turn on and attempt to start. I checked the fuse, and it was blown, so I replaced it. Still not working. I don't know much about the quad, so not sure if there is more than 1 fuse or not.

The fuse I replaced was the one near the CDI on the clutch side.

Do you guys have any other ideas what might cause the quad to not show any signs of electrical life?

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
The only fuse that it should have is located by the solenoid, its a glass tube type fuse. It supplys power to pretty much anything important!!

I believe you only have 1 fuse in the whole entire Quad... Now that you changed your fuse... You do not have power going to the starter or even the lights ?

That is correct. When I hook up the jumper cables (correctly this time!!!) the netrual light doesn't come on, and it won't even attempt to start. The old fuse defitniely did blow, and the new one looked fine.

Not sure if it damaged the starter motor or the CDI. Unless there is something else that might have been damaged.

The starter and cdi have nothing to do with the light. Well, the cdi MAY, but, I'd have to look at the wiring schematic. Have you made sure the bulb is even good? Start going over all the wires and connections, making sure everything is good. Also, try putting it in reverse and see if the reverse light comes on.

The starter and cdi have nothing to do with the light. Well, the cdi MAY, but, I'd have to look at the wiring schematic. Have you made sure the bulb is even good? Start going over all the wires and connections, making sure everything is good. Also, try putting it in reverse and see if the reverse light comes on.

Okay I will go through the wires tonight. The bulb should be fine because it worked right up until I had the jumper cable wires backwards. I also tried to start it when I had it hooked up and it didn't even attempt. Dead in the water.

I will report back later. Thanks!

Also, if I remember correct there's no fuse between the battery hot and the starter. Check for a burned wire on it. Get your test light and see how far your power goes. I don't like the battery charger directly on the cables without a battery idea but whatever. .

Okay I will go through the wires tonight. The bulb should be fine because it worked right up until I had the jumper cable wires backwards. I also tried to start it when I had it hooked up and it didn't even attempt. Dead in the water.

I will report back later. Thanks!

You could have burned out the bulb when you hooked it up backwards.

what year is your bike? I could send you the electric diagram if you want!

Thanks guys, I got it working! The fuse housing was kind of messed up also so it wasn't getting a good connection with the new fuse. The quad is a 1999 and was sitting outside at my parents house with the fuel on for about 5 years under their deck.

It's still not running good, but I will need to mess with the thorttle adjustments on the carb. I probably need to clean out the carb better than I did also.

Never worked on any kind of motor/carb so this is all a learning experience for me haha.

Thanks guys, I got it working! The fuse housing was kind of messed up also so it wasn't getting a good connection with the new fuse. The quad is a 1999 and was sitting outside at my parents house with the fuel on for about 5 years under their deck.

It's still not running good, but I will need to mess with the thorttle adjustments on the carb. I probably need to clean out the carb better than I did also.

Never worked on any kind of motor/carb so this is all a learning experience for me haha.

Its not hard man you will learn quick and any queations just ask..

If yours is like mine was, there's a bit of "varnish" built up on all the carb surfaces. Especially the bowl and floats. A good cleaning will clean out all the gunk. You'll be AMAZED how good it will run.

Back