Stuck with bearing carrier install

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andryzzle

Reaction score
I'm to about here in the thread:

Step 9: Now that your carrier has been cleaned and the steel collar is back inside you can tap the new bearings back in. It is a good idea to fill the carrier full of grease (lots of it muah hahaha) but not so much that its gushing out the sides lol. Use a block of wood that fits over THE ENTIRE BEARING - DO NOT HIT IT ON THE INSIDE OF THE BEARING YOU WILL DAMAGE IT. Tap the bearing in EVENLY ALL THE WAY IN until it stops, do the same for the other side and push in the new seals.

Step 10: Well you can now slide your axle ALL THE WAY back in (be careful not to damage the bearings or seals), put your sprocket and sprocket carrier back on, and put the large axle nuts back on. When you put your large axle nuts back on tighten the first one all the way against the sprocket carrier and wiggle the axle to make sure there is NO PLAY. Then once there is no play and this nut is nice and tight you can proceed to put the second axle nut on behind it. After you have done this you can now put your chain, hub (make sure you put on the new cotter pin and the old castle nut), wheels, and break caliper back on and your ready to go.

I bought an assembled carrier from East Coast ATV with the zerk fitting and i'm trying to slide it over my axle but it's getting hung up. In the tutorial it sounds like the author just slides it over with no issues. I don't want to force anything and break it, but i'm not sure how much force it requires.

Also, I applied grease to the fitting and the middle section of the axle where the spacer sits. Are there any other surfaces I need to hit before I close it all up?

are you pushing the axle through on the brake disk side just make sure the axle is level when sliding it through

yes i am. It just seems like way too much resistance and I don't want to misalign anything. this doesn't need to be pressed right? the bearings are already pressed into the carrier IIRC.

when we did my buddies 94 rear bearings the axle didn't want to slide in easy until we tapped it with a rubber hammer a few times then she was smooth sailing from there.

Make sure there are no burrs on the axle's bearing races. Spray some lube on the races to help with the assembly if you haven't already done so.

Yea i'll try to clean up/lube up the surfaces a little more then try it again. Thanks.

Back