Stuck in the dunes today

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borregowarrior

Reaction score
Yes my wonderful warrior has left me again this time on one of the tallest dunes 5 miles from camp.No it wasnt the stator, or carburetor there are two nuts that hold the rear sprocket on a spine type deal.Well guess what they came off as i was climbing full throttle in second gear as i near the top crack and then clank clank clank.My first thought was oh crap there goes 2nd gear than i looked down to see me chain tangled and the rear sprocket against the wheel.The chain broke the case of the engine and tangled in the front sprocket.I got a ride back to camp in the coolest rail. Man this guy was nuts he scared the heck out of me but i would do it again.In fact i would buy one buy he said his was 30,000 YA not my price range.But back to my warrior i took a crow bar a hammer and a pipe wrench (don't ask why i bring a pipe wretch camping) I pried the chain out put it all back together the pipe wrench was perfect for tightening those big nuts!! Sand all over the spine what a mess.But it did take me 5 miles back to camp.I packed up and came home now what? should i sell it or put another 150 into new chain and sprockets and let it ruin another camping trip some other way?:argh:

Lucky you didnt crack the case. How bout check your chain and carrier tensioner nuts more often. Then you won't throw a chain. Or you say the main axle nuts came loose? Those things should be the tightest bolts on the quad.

ugh, don't mind me. I read that your in cally out in the desert and I'm stuck here in 15° weather freezin my balls off.

that sucks man, but id say get that fixed and before you call it done go over the entire quad and just make sure everything is tight greased and ready to rock.

15 degrees is nothin to me we've been sitting at 0 or below the last 2 days and thats before factoring in the windchill. its so cold me and a few of my nieghbors trucks wont start, of coarse mines the only diesel so i have good reason.

Yeh, the wind chill here is what will get yah. My truck sounds as if the battery is almost frozen as well. But if fires right up luckily. Now that I think about it, I shoulda opted for the higher cold cranking amps.

Hah, that takes me back. Walking across any bridge in the winter in the burgh was pure hell! I lived there for 3+ years.

at least you can get a chain and sprockets at a good price off ebay, some jb putty should fix your case. Don't know how in the heck the axle bolt came loose, is someone out to get you? Oh yah it's 49 at my house right now. sure is nice t shirt and jeans lol

Those two big nuts come off, damn to redo my axle bearings, it took a pipe wrench the rear brake in gear and somebody else to hold it, while I had to use my foot and leg to get mine to bust loose. They had to be loose to come off like that.

I got it in the garage today and i went to take it apart to get the sand out of it and I was able to take those nuts off with my hand. I torqued the H^#l out of them with a pipe wrench out in the dunes i don't get it

I got it in the garage today and i went to take it apart to get the sand out of it and I was able to take those nuts off with my hand. I torqued the H^#l out of them with a pipe wrench out in the dunes i don't get it

WTF that doen't make any sence. bolt it together and use the lock-tite that you need to use a torch and heat up to get loose(then it will be like everyone elses that can't get theirs apart) and see if that hold it. But it really shouldn't loosen up like that. Do you have 2 nuts on there? The 2nd one is supposed to stop it from loosing up like that.

Those are called jam nuts, there has to be a reason they are spinning off like that would be something to check into. Its red locktite that takes a torch to melt it off to get anything loose. Check the threads on the axle and nuts make sure they are in good shape. Make sure they are getting a good bite to stay tight.

If none of this helps i would suggest getting a durablue locknut for the stock axle. its got a lock screw that clamps on the threads

Back