Still smokes after new piston and rings

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHANTOMLORD

Reaction score
I have installed a new wisco piston and rings and prity sure i did it correctly now its been awhile sense ive had it together and only run threw my yard abunch of times and down my road afew times, how long does it take to seat the new rings,, It smokes alot when i first start it up but goes away after a few minuties but if im riding it and hammer down on it it will smoke somemore, now i can see oily residue around the head pipe on the fins, should i just tear it all back off and rebuild the hole head, i still have to tear it apart again to replace the timming chain and im getting a oil leak from the pull start cover area and the center gasket area at the rear of the motor..

I told them to but after it took them about 2 months to be done with it i didnt even ask i just wanted it back and when i got it all back the inside of the drum felt like sand paper, thought for a cylinder head it would have been more smooth..i looked at the valves and do remember the looked clean and one was like a black metal and the other alittle lighter, one was almost bumpy and one was smoother, i gess intake side and exhaust side maybe..

Yep or atleast they said they did,,, but it felt like sand paper inside!!! Seemed like the smoking was getting better but got realy cold again and now seems just as bad again!!

Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't have even put it back together. The cylinder shouldn't fell like sand paper.

I didnt no ive never done anything like pistons or rings before, sounds like he probly fucked me out of about 500,

You can go to auto zone and buy a hone. Very easy to use and only need a drill. Take it back apart slap new rings on and re hone it yourself.

You did turn the rings the right way right? all gaps should be 90* apart.

You can go to auto zone and buy a hone. Very easy to use and only need a drill. Take it back apart slap new rings on and re hone it yourself.

You did turn the rings the right way right? all gaps should be 90* apart.

He could, but whats to say that the bore is even sized to the piston correctly?

You'll have to do some measuring once it's apart.

Btw, did you gap the rings?

Buy gap, i hope you mean where each one's little gap is opposite from the other, like in the book yes, but my bother said when we put on the bottom ring then wavy ring then another ring he said the bottom one was over laped but cant see how it could be..

I'm talking about the ring end gaps. There is a tight space where the ends of the ring nearly come together. That is the ring end gap. The rings need to be set into the cylinder one at a time, using the piston to get them square in the bore, then a feeler gauge is used to measure how tight that gap is. It needs to be within a specific tolerence.

The oil contol ring (the 3 piece bottom ring) is not as critical on the ring end gap. BUT, there is a spec for them, that I like to follow it. The ring end gaps should NEVER over lap or touch And the wavey center ring sould not interlock with itself, the ends should butt together. That is the ONLY ring that the ends should touch.

Ok, well the guy machined it for me and he got me the new wisco piston and rings and gasket set for it and said it was ready to go,,,,

He does all the work for the big yamaha placs in rocky mount his shop is right behind then and they told me to take it to him so i think so..

Well, the bore shouldn't feel like sandpaper. On a fresh bore and hone, it should have SOME texture, but otherwise smooth because of how close the crosshatches are. Did he/you clean the cylinder with soap and water, then wipe it down with paper towel and sprayed it with WD40, before you installed it? There are a lot of variables that can play a part into what you are experiancing.

Latest posts

Back