Stiffing rear shock

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior350x

Reaction score
i was talking to a buddy of mine and he told me that instead of buying a banshee, of raptor rear shock i can adjust it to be stiffer. is this true because im not really to keen on buying a used shock, and i know the factory will hit me up for a new banshee shock. so if i can stiffen the stock rear shock please some one tell me how. if its even posible

lift quad up, take out shock buy a shock pleload wrench at a dealer or i can sell you mine, and loosen the locknut and tighten the ajuster nut and then tighten the locknut ontop of the ajuster nut....thats how i did mine and i fond it to be alot easier

You CAN tighten the preload. That'll make the spring stronger, but it's not really going to make it much better for jumping, because the valving is what really does the work there. More than anything it's just going to make your ride over rough terrain more unpleasant. It's really only intened to compensate for rider weight.

Then adjusting the preload should do the trick for what you need. I always pulled the rear plastics and airbox off, sat the frame up on a milk crate to get the weight off the shock, and turned the adjustment rings with a long flat screwdriver and a hammer. If you had the proper spanner wrench it would probably go a little faster, but even with the plastics out of the way there's still not much clearance to work around.

The rings are at the top of the shock, but yeah the gear-shaped ones. You'll have to loosen the top one first and spin it out of the way, then go to work on the one against the spring. When you have it where you like it, make sure you tighten the top ring (lock ring) good and tight or your adjustment can drift by itself and it might even damage the shock.

Back