Starts but wont' run

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed5821

Reaction score
Just wanted to see if yall have any suggestions about my raptor. I had let it sit for a little while before riding it then when I went to ride it started right up and ran fine. A week or two later it wouldn't start. I changed the gas in it, got a new battery, and new spark plug. It started with the choke on but I couldn't take the choke off. I've taken the carb off and cleaned the float bowl and jets good. Now it will start but it backfires when I give it gas and it will go dead. Any idea what I can look at?

Thanks,
Kevin

sounds like the fuel screw or something in the pilot jet may be blocked or plugged. Did you adjust it?

I adjusted the fuel screw but I'm going to take it out and clean it. Maybe that'll help.

OK, I took the fuel screw all the way out and sprayed some cleaner in it and on it. It didn't look dirty (the screw). Just to see what would happen I put the choke on and started it. It ran the same with the screw all the way out of it as it does with it turned two rounds out. I was figuring on gas coming out of it but it didn't. What should I do next? Pull the carb again?

Thanks,
Kevin

I took them out before and cleaned them then blew through them and air went through. Something else I should be doing to clean them?

With the fuel screw all the way out, I mean in my hand, should gas not come out of there when it is running? Please excuse my ignorance. I haven't a clue :(

You most likely will not get a small amount of fuel from the screw .. basically what is happening is that vaccum is sucking fuel out of the bowl of the carb into the pilot jet (through it) then fuel screw controls the mixture of fuel and past the throttle plate (before it). The air jet is in the mouth of the carb which needs to be taken out and cleaned. (bell end, where the carb boot attaches, air filter side) This air jet provides air to mix with the fuel/pilot circuit.

OK, thanks. I'll take it out again monday or tuesday. I'll take a pic if I have any problems with what is what.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back