starting problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.E.Warrior97-2001

Reaction score
My warrior seems to have to much compression, i can pull start but it has to be in 6th gear or just locks up the wheels. When i try to start with the starter it turns over a few times then the starter kicks out making a lound clinking noise. I just replaced the starter clutch so im guessing it had this problem b4.

Im trying to figure out what could cause this problem, atv does not smoke does have a little miss but im thinkin its in the carb. We adjusted the valves and timing. the cam gear does not alighn with the mark exactly it like the mark is in between gears or something so its either just b4 or just after the mark. Please any input on this matter would be helpful..

Followed the specs in the chlmers book.. When i got the atv it wasnt running would not start unless it was pulled off. I put in a new starter clucth cuz it was missing some bearings or whatever those thinks would be called.. Now the starter turns the motor a few times but seems when it tries to start it backlashes or something and the starter kicks out.. Is it normal to haft to put a warrior in 6th gear to pull it off any other gear it kinda does the same thing, like it builds up compression and the back wheel locks up

Were is the instructions on how to load a video maybe i could upload 1 and all these noises someone has heard b4

Adjusted the valves as the book said, and timed it the best it can be, like i said the marks will not alighn exactly. the arrow on the cam gear will not alighn with the mark on the head itself. Its a half a gear either way, it does seem to run btr when its turned more toward the rear of the atv though.. Why wont the marks alighn exactly could that be part of my problem ?

It should still run my cam chain was stretched an inch and the timing was off by a quarter inch retarded and she ran great and when I put the new chain in the marks were dead on and she runs even better now

if it will ONLY crank and run if you pull it behind another vehicle then its the source coil causing weak spark... i had the same problem. and top gear is normal on these for having to pull start them.

What is the best way to troubleshoot the coil ?
Also what should the compression be on a warrior?

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

Should the airbox suck air all the time or could it fluctuate between sucking and blowing wile cranking the engine

Test the source coil and pick up coil too you'll know if they are bad it will either be 0 or be really high

were trying that now my warrior is a 97-01 and were not getting any real reading wile testin the wires fluctuates alot (my ohm meter once again is set to 200

The wire's coming out of my stator housing are 3 white,a red and white and a green and a brown 7 wires total

Back