starting problem...yet again

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartkillslogic

Reaction score
Okay, so my warrior which I keep putting money into ran fine until it sat for about a week or two? Now it will not start. It just sits and cranks and cranks.

It has the hard knock when starting and it did just sit and buzz at one point so I thought it was the starter clutch but it still cranks on and on without buzzing.

I also read something about switching white and red wires at the plug? But, I'm and not very mechanically inclined so I'm lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just wanna ride my quad again. :'(

well if it ran great before, then switching the pickup coil (red and white) wont fix your problem.... if it keeps knocking and knocking than that is your starter clutch... it might not be turning the motor fast enough... thats the way mine was before...

or your fuel could be bad, even though it only sat for 2 weeks, change the fuel( drain the carb too) and put a new plug into it and shee if it makes a difference.

there is a chance its your keyway on the flywheel ,mine did this last year,just crank and crank.take the stator cover off and see if the flywheel freespins on the crank.

good point token... when i sheared the key on my flywheel, the flywheel wouldnt spin on the crank but it was about 90* from where it was supposed to be... (damn i think i have had ever problem in the book... how come nothing ever goes easy)

like token said definitly check the flywheel key... that is one thing that can make a 4 wheeler run one minute and then not start the next... (thats exactly how mine went, it broke when i shut it off)

if that is the case with you, make sure you tighten the flywheel back down to at least the right torque... thats why mine broke, i hadnt got it tight enough.... it is now tho believe me

Sorry for the late response, but where is the stator cover?

and what does the spark plug wire connect to? because I'm not to sure if I'm getting spark...

the stator cover is the leftside of the motor... the whole piece that is painted grey... and to check for spark, take your plug out, connect your plug to the wire again, and lay the plug on the motor somehow that the outside is touching bare metal.... then hit the button and watch the plug... you should see a bright blue spark...

Well, I'm not getting spark... Supposedly my coil is still good but I was told the wires may lose ohms as it goes into the engine. If that's the case it's most likely the cdi... Which doesn't make me so happy considering my dad thinks I can pull money out my ass to get it fixed.

??? your losing me... supposedly your coil is good? you gotta test it to know... and im not sure what your talking about losing ohms... if someone told you those exact words, tell them they are full of ****.... ohms measure resistance, the more ohms the more resistance.... so im really confused what losing ohms as it goes into the engine means...

honestly, and no offence, but im afraid this issue is a bit over your head... we almost gotta start with the basics... everyone has gotta learn somehow... do you know how to run a multimeter to check resistance? (ohms) first change the plug, then you gotta check resistance in the stator and then the ignition coil under the hood.... then the spark plug cap if those all test out... then you gotta inspect every single wire and every single ground, till you find an issue.... if you dont find one, then and only then, you buy a cdi... there is no way to test a cdi so you have to test everything else and rule them out first...

My dad tested the coil and it was dead but he said something about jumping it and it worked.. I don't know that's what my dad and the guy we buy parts off of.

Yes, I know I have no idea of what I'm doing that's why I posted this..
My dad checked all them and the only wire without black/blue which is the cutoff so my dad's friend is gonna let us use his cdi so see if that's it.

yeah you can swap out the CDI... your lucky it seems that most of the time when you wanna swap cdi's you can never find the one you need.... let us know how the swap goes

Any word on this problem. Deadlast had weak spark and i'm buying a scrambler 50 with the same problem. Hope its just a bad connection on the ground. Whats up?

Actually, I hate myself for what the actual problem was.

My dad brought home a spark plug tester and it wasn't getting spark. However, this was because the spark tester needs like 60,000 volts or something to even fire it.

So, I decided to throw the spark plug on and the spark was jumping but not connecting.

Found the old spark plug from before when I rebuilt it and it fired right up.

Back