starting a rebuild soon need some tips...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98warriorguy

Reaction score
ok so i just got my first warrior about 2 weeks ago and the quad runs and all but smokes and leaks oil bad (all out the exhaust) i was just looking for some advise like what it all could be thats causing the smoke and oil, what i could do to clean it out of the pipe (fmf performax), ect. i plan on getting a weisco piston/ring/gasket kit with a standard bore *83mm and i also already have a tusk top end gasket set with the exhaust gasket and everything because it doesnt look like weisco has them in their set.. also i plan on doing a leak down test to see if the valve guides/ valves are leaking but i dont know exactly what to use. i heard gas is good and its bad because it evaporates but i cant figure out what to use that doesnt. also i want to keep this rebuild to as little cost as possible so please dont start saying bring it to a shop to do, i dont have hundreds of dollars to throw into this quad lol any help would greatly be appriciated and i plan to start within the next month.:nanner:

Last edited:
tips

Hey there, Ive rebuilt several top ends and here are some things to keep in mind:

Dont buy piston until your jug is measured. you wil probably need at least a first size overbore and the piston has to fit the bore. Find yourself a small eng machine shop that will meaure your bore and tell you what size to get. Bores should be around 50.00 and rebuilding the head with your seals shoud be around 40.00.

Check your cam chain for wear-look at your adjuster when you remove it. If its near the end of travel you need repl chain.

Good luck

Get yourself a manual too. It helps with procedures and specs. Also there are you tube videos to help with procedures too. Good luck and I agree with Mike, wait to order parts until after tear down so you know what you need. And ask anything here, we will help ya.

thanks guys for your advice, i deffinetly will do that, the motor has very good compression still, and i was wondering if the rings are whats causing the smoking and oil loss, or do you guys think its the valves or a mixture of both? i will still replace the piston and rings with new, im used to working on older atc motors and i never took apart a newer motor. also the exhaust, should i just wash it with degreaser and put new packing in it? its pouring black oil everywhere

You might be able to get away with just replacing the rings as you said it has good compression. It might just have a bad oil control ring. If it smokes all the time it's running, its rings, if only for a bit when you first start it, then it is valve seals. As far as the exhaust, yes just clean and repack it.

im used to working on older atc motors and i never took apart a newer motor.

You're not working on anything special here, dude. Lol! Deffinetly NOT a high tech engine. Most times, if there is very good compression, you can "get away" with a re-hone, and install new piston and rings. BUT, it is best to have the bore measured before, AND, after honing to see if it is (A) within the wear limit, (B) see if it is out of round.

Hell, you may tear it down to find the cylinder has ridging, and can't be re-used as is, anyway.

Latest posts

Back