starter sounds like rod knocking when starting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raunchyblount

Reaction score
when i crank the bike sounds like it is going to fall apart. the guy at the shop says they all sound like that, but i have not been around them that much to know.just bought it from a friend 2001 warrior.runs great just the starting just sounds like it is taring the insides up.
thanks for any info on this and if any more info is required i am willing

That knocking sound is the starter clutch, one way bearing, or whatever else you want to call it. You can replace the bearing and the gear it rides on for about $200, and it'll stop the noise, but that doesn't guarantee how long. Just about all of them do it, and until it gets to the point that it starts to slip, it's really not necessary or worthwhile to replace. Mine actually got to the point that it wasn't grabbing right, and would intermittently lock, then slip, then lock, then slip... I wouldn't worry about it until then. The warrior isn't the only quad that does this, my recon did, and many other quads will do the same at some point in their life.

My warrior does that 2 but i never woried about it. Are you sure its the starter because sometimes min will knock 1 time when i turn it off.

Yup the one way bearing on the flywheel that turn the engine over. Don't replace it until it goes out.
Also lowest new yamaha price I've found is from yamahasportplaza.com

The starter clutch which one is it? I saw Yamaha offers 2 gear assemblys for that. One for the crank and one for the starter. MY 2000 warrior started to make that noise. I went to start today and it acted like it didn't want to start. It would lock and turn over then lock and turn over. I only had the problem when the motor was cold. After the motor was warm it would start easy. I have never ever had to replace anything except the battery for the starter system. I saw they had 2 two gears and wasn't for sure which one was the starter clutch.

If the one-way bearing is going out it would be slipping, which means the starter motor runs but the engine doesn't crank. Mine was making the clunking sounds for a couple years before it got to the point that it would slip intermittently. What you're describing sounds more like your battery is weak, at least you didn't mention it slipping.

The part to blame is #6 on the diagram linked below. It rides on the gear beside it, part #9. They should be replaced as a set, because the bearing will wear pits and grooves into the mating surface on the gear through normal wear and through slippage, and if reused, that wear on the gear will tear up the new one-way prematurely.
http://www.boats.net/_search/images/parts_yamaha/62/01/0039/0012.png

my battery is a new battery and it would still do it. the battery is a agm battery and I haven't had any problems with it. I will put on the charger and let it sit for awhile. I haven't rode for awhile and it's been sitting in the garage. The motor would turn over easy and then kind of lock and I would turn release the starter button. I would press it again and it would turn over and then eventually start. Would it hurt to replace the inner bearing also while I havee the part off?

I have another question if that gear is ok can I just get away just replacing the outer bearing instead or both. I know you said both I was just wondering.

NO! they are expensive but you gotta replace both if you want it to last more than a couple of months... they both wear out the same the gear might not look like it is worn but we are talking thousandths of an inch here

drtfn said:
I have another question if that gear is ok can I just get away just replacing the outer bearing instead or both. I know you said both I was just wondering.
I have a complete starter clutch and flywheel thats almost new, I'll sell ir for $100 bucks.

Thanks I don't have the money with Christmas coming and other things happening right now, If I get the money I'll see if if still have them.

It doesn't sound anything like the starter clutch being the problem to me. The clunking sound means it's worn but i don't feel like it's necessary to replace it until it starts slipping, or if you see excessive metal shavings in the oil filter from the bearing getting torn up.

It really sounds like a weak battery, weak connection through one of the cables, or a bad starter to me.

Did you try connecting the starter directly to the power source through jumper cables instead of using the existing cables? If a cable has a bad connection at one of the ends or the strands of wire are broken up internally from being stressed it won't carry the current it needs to. Connecting the starter directly will eliminate this as a possible problem.

It's also possible that the starter needs rebuilt. Mine got to a point where it seemed like it had about half the power it did originally, it would just barely turn over, kinda like it had a weak battery. I opened it up and the brushes were badly worn, one was actually completely gone, just the spring was making contact with the armature.

Back