Starter issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3504life

Reaction score
I'm going through starters like crazy on my 01 warrior ever 4 or 5 months. I think there filling with oil. Any one else have the same problem ? Or know why this happens.

dose your starter disengage after the motor cranks? cuz if it dont it will burn up starters quick and i would put a db electical starter on it they come with a one year warrentie on the cheap ones and a 2 year on the high toque starters

If it's filling with oil I would think there is a seal that went out, but I'm not sure(haven't run into that issue yet)

well, there is an o-ring on the starter itself. dunno why it would allow oil past it unless the starter hole is wallowed out a bit.

sounds more like a starter clutch problem to me ... spinning the so much that it wears out the seal the starter housing and shaft ... thats the only thing i can think of

see if you can do what he does @ the 1.50 mark of this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqHSoAd2Wo

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid. I don't really want to pull that gear out I still want a starter lol. I have just been getting the starters rebuilt.

yeah i know i was saying if you can the flywheel behind the rotor if you cant spin that one way with turning the motor over then you need a starter clutch

dose your starter disengage after the motor cranks? cuz if it dont it will burn up starters quick and i would put a db electical starter on it they come with a one year warrentie on the cheap ones and a 2 year on the high toque starters

I had a starter clutch seize when it failed instead of just slipping, It started but it killed the starter after a few good rides. Only realized the problem when I was working on the stator and starter looking at things.

Oh the one way clutch?

Yes, I found my problem when I was just fiddling around with the stator cover off, as I tried to spin the gear on the back of the flywheel it would not turn either direction. You can take your starter off and reach inside and try and spin the gears, it should spin only one direction. Interesting side note my second warrior that would not start off of the starter the one way clutch worked backwards, it would spin one direction but not the other. Of course it was opposite of my first warrior that started fine. Needed a new starter clutch.

Hey if you end up buying a new starter clutch check out cheapcycleparts.com they had it th cheapest when I had to change mine

Yea I'll check it out thanks I got a moto 4 at my cottage I was going to strip the motor for parts possibly just toss the starter clutch in my motor. How much do new ones cost? And does any one have a aftermarket oil cooler that runs off the oil filter housing.? And what size is the cooler part of it. I want to call it a rad. But a oil rad?

i had to get the drive gear and starter clutch for mine and it was like 160 together but you might be able to get away with out th gear and im in the process of doing the big bear oil cooler mod my self just look on ebay for the crossover partsi picked mine up for abou 50 or so

I got the housing and every thing I wanted to get a different cooler than what's ok it I got a tranny cooler at work I was going to use that and rubber lines. I have herd before that the oil pimps in these motors are junky

ive never had problems with oil pumps on any of my 5 warriors ive had im gonna be running a perma cool power steering cooler there is a thred on here that talks alll about the oil cooler mods its a sticky ill post a link if needed

Back