Sprocket & Chain

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinacez

Reaction score
Whats the difference between an X & O ring chains? Also for normal riding on the trails should I use steel or alloy sprockets?
Thanks

x-ring chains have less rolling resistance, and last longer. For the extra few dollars they cost it's worth it. I have an x-ring chain from parts unlimited that I paid about $50 for, i've had it for about 7 months and after the initial break-in period, the chain hasn't stretched at all.

Steel sprockets will last longer than alloy ones and cost less.

Cool, thanks man! Rockymountain has Primary Drive kits, ar they any good? Which do you recommend?
Thanks

The difference in design between the 2 types of chains is the diameter of the x-ring is an x-shape instead of being perfectly round like o-rings. This gives it 2 mating surfaces, so you get a better seal to keep dirt out. Also, x-rings don't have to be compressed as tightly as o-rings, so the rolling resistance is decreased slightly because of it.

I don't have any experience with primary drive chains. I don't think there's much difference between the different manufacturers, so if you think the price is reasonable go for it. As long as you don't go and buy the cheapest chain and sprockets you can find you probably won't have any complaints. If you get a can of good chain lube and keep the chain and sprockets oiled good, and keep the chain slack within specs it'll last for years of hard riding.

Buy a sidewinder chain and sprocket kit; they are expensive up front but they are strong as hell and will last forever!!!! It will probably be your lest chain and sprocket kit you ever buy...

If you get a can of good chain lube and keep the chain and sprockets oiled good...

I wouldn't recommend the can of chain lube, most are too tacky and will attract and hold too much dirt... 30w motor oil is what works the best for me...

What do you do to put the oil on the chain? If regular motor oil works that's what i'll start using when I run out of chain lube, instead of spending another 10 bucks on a can

I used motor oil at first and that **** just flings off after 10 minutes of riding and then your squeaking. I buy the canned **** that works awesome, lasts helluvalot longer and you don't have oil all over your quad to clean up!

What do you do to put the oil on the chain? If regular motor oil works that's what i'll start using when I run out of chain lube, instead of spending another 10 bucks on a can

I use the top from a gear lube bottle, put a clear hose on it then put it on the 30w motor oil bottle... put the quad on a stand under the skid plate so the rear tires are off the ground a little but the fronts are still touching... start the quad, put it in 1st gear, then apply the oil onto the chain while its turning... i put the oil on the inside of the chain to draw it in between the chain and sprocket, rather then the top of the chain so it just flings off....this is dangerous though, since you have moving parts around you ...i would not recommend oiling your chain with the quad running in gear to anyone, since you could get hurt (that should make the lawyers happy ;D) instead, i would recommend you have a buddy turn the tire while you apply the oil...as with any lube or oil on moving parts, some will fling off and make your quad messy, but the motor oil is a lot easier to clean up then tacky chain lube from your frame not to mention your chain.....I've never had a problem with the 30w motor oil flinging completely off and leaving the chain dry... another thing i've found, motor oil doesn't really dry out, but chain lube will get dry and gummy over time and is a mess to clean up..when i remove my chain to clean it, i use hot water and soap, i don't have to use any solvents to get it clean.... i started out using the expensive chain lube and switched over to the 30w motor oil... i like it better and will probably never switch back... but then again, I'm picky... i lube the chain before i ride and wash it every time before its put away.....

I used motor for about a month. After 2 big days on the trails, seperate weekends that chain was squeakin like a mofo. I use chain lube and have not heard a squeak since. I would take the chain off the bike and put it in a pie plate filled with oil and left in the sun, can't soak it in any better than that!

I lube mine before riding and then when I'm done for the day I wash it and lube it again before putting it up for the night. I use chain oil rather than motor oil as well. I've used motor oil on other stuff and it just didn't seem to last as long to me either.

PJ1 for air filters and chains, good ****!!! To remove the gummy **** just use simple green. Simple green is very friendly compared to heavy degreasers so it won't eat the grease out of the chain.

I use "some fuchs" silkolene also; real good ****!
silk0273.jpg

......I would take the chain off the bike and put it in a pie plate filled with oil and left in the sun, can't soak it in any better than that!

there's the problem, gotta use a mixing bowl ;D...lol..jk...theres more then one way to skin a cat though*... what ever works for ya and gets ya out riding is all that matters.... for me, my chain stays oiled, free and cleaner with 30w... although i will say, a can of chain lube is easier to apply....

* no cats were harmed during the posting of this thread... :)

I shot a cat last summer that got in my shed, looked like a coon it was so fat and scraggly. I couldn't really see anything in the dark but it's eyes so I aimed between and busted a cap in it with my .22, head shot beeeitch!!! I actually have a black cat though that's cool as hell. :( ;D

Latest posts

Back