Something a little different...Wolverine flat track quad

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronxs400

Reaction score
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Ive been drag racing motorcycles since i was 15 (now 21) and i was recently involved in a bad car accident when i tboned a drunk driver when he blew a stop sign(shattered femur, shatter radius/unla,broken ribs, broken vertebrea). Due to the money situation, and the fact that racing harleys was rough on my body to begin with, im taking a break from drag racing.

I have had an 04 wolverine since new, wont ever own another quad i dont think. Been looking at racing it. Seems like XC would be to rough on the body, so next up is flat track. Now i dont think i have EVER seen someone racing a 4x4 but i figured why not?

only class rules i can find for the local track;

Small Bore (under 381cc 4 stroke / 240cc & under 2 stroke air cooled)

nothing specific really on what you can and cant do. seems like id be racing against blasters, warriors, 300ex, etc. seems like i may have a chance.

so now i have a question. anyone think im crazy, or should i say what the hell and give it a go?

any recommendations on tires? best thing i can find is 23x8.5 and 10 on 12" rim golf cart tires. i have tried fitting 10" rims on the wolverine, front seems to work rear i dunno yet. i may eventually do this if i get a durablue axle, it might extended the wheels out enough to clear the brakes. i think an 18" tire would be best, but cant really seem to find anything.

any comments or tips or ideas would be great.

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it here!

To be honest, I think you'd be crazy. lol

If you want to do it just to have the 'experience' of racing and have a good time, then sure, why not! But to tell you the truth, you wont stand a chance racing against those quads. They're quicker, and handle a LOT better. Thats the biggest thing that will hold you back...the handling.

If it were me, I'd keep the Wolv the way it is and use it for its intended use. The money you would have spent for an axle, tires, rims, etc....I would take all that and find a decent used quad to use for racing. Blasters, Warriors, Quadsports and others can all be found for less than $1000 if you look in the right places. That would be your best bet for a 'beater' race bike. :)

While I've never done any racing I would have to agree with Shibby.

The Wolverine is a crossover which means it will run decent on the sand and in the hills but, it doesnt excell in either.

The biggest challenge you would face IMO is lack of aftermarket performance parts. The Blasters and YFZ class were made with modding in mind but few vendors cater to the crossover crowd because our numbers don't come close...i.e. ....no money in it.

If you do decide to go for it please post some shots and update us on what you do and your progress.

Back