some problems after putting on skids

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrblonde

Reaction score
alright well today I had the afternoon off so I decided to install my frame skid, swingarm skid, and nerf bars....I followed the intructions of the frame skid and turned off my fuel, lifted the quad up on the grab bar and started working....3 hours later I finished, flipped the bike back on all fours, washed off the bike and ate some dinner....I went to start the bike up with the choke out full (its cold out) and the bike idled real high for about 2 minutes and then cut out....I tried starting it up about 20 more times since then and the bike runs for a good 8 seconds and cuts out....And she will only start with the choke fully out...When I try giving it throttle it doesnt even feel like im getting response out of the engine....I called up the dealership where I bought it from and talked to a fella at the service department. I told him my whole story and he was kinda short but said to check the air filter for gas. Well I opened the air box lid and theres a few streaks of it and the air filter is real spongy and smells like gas. What do you guys think? Did gas soak the filter or should I be looking somehwere else?

For now, I just covered the bike back up and im calling it a night because I have to go to work in a few hours...any help will be great thanks :)

It wouldn't be the filter. If the filter was soaked so bad that it was restricting flow, it would run richer than normal, so the choke wouldn't have made it better. If you want to rule out the filter for sure, just take the filter out, clean up anything loose around the intake, and try to start it without the filter.

Try tapping on the side of the carb with the handle of a screwdriver or wrench. When you turned it on the back end the float might have got stuck. It could have also stirred up some dirt inside the carb, so if tapping on it doesn't get fuel flowing, the next thing i'd do would be to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning.

bike started up after hitting the carb thanks for the tip dude..saved me a trip to the dealer...the shitty part is after putting on that swingarm skid the plastic guard underneath the chain on skid is rubbing...quadboss sucks...now I have to dremel the piece down

That's pretty bad that you called a dealership and they didn't do anything to help you. They probably weren't interested in your call because you weren't calling to buy something from them. I don't go to dealers like that anymore.

ha well I thought my problems were over...today I started the bike up, went up the road and as soon as I shifted into first and gave it gas while hitting the trails, the bike stalled...after 10 mins of trying to start it back up again, I decided to switch the fuel switch to the resivior just for shits and giggles...and bam she started right up...I switched it back to ON afterwards and hit the trails for a good half hour with no problems...I get back to my house and relax for a bit and decide to go for a ride again and now this time the bike wont start up at all...switched it to RES again and wouldnt start either...I waited a bit and put it back on RES and the bike starts with the choke fully out but as soon I turn the choke off there goes the bike....finally got it started and went for a ride up the street and the bike dies again...got it started a couple minutes later and drove it back to my house...as soon as I downshift to get back in my driveway she cuts out again! it is cold as hell out but I dont think thats the problem...ever since this bike was on its grab bar its been giving me ****...the moptherfucker is brand new with less than 20 hours on it...what could be the problem?

ha well I thought my problems were over...today I started the bike up, went up the road and as soon as I shifted into first and gave it gas while hitting the trails, the bike stalled...after 10 mins of trying to start it back up again, I decided to switch the fuel switch to the resivior just for shits and giggles...and bam she started right up...I switched it back to ON afterwards and hit the trails for a good half hour with no problems...I get back to my house and relax for a bit and decide to go for a ride again and now this time the bike wont start up at all...switched it to RES again and wouldnt start either...I waited a bit and put it back on RES and the bike starts with the choke fully out but as soon I turn the choke off there goes the bike....finally got it started and went for a ride up the street and the bike dies again...got it started a couple minutes later and drove it back to my house...as soon as I downshift to get back in my driveway she cuts out again! it is cold as hell out but I dont think thats the problem...ever since this bike was on its grab bar its been giving me ****...the moptherfucker is brand new with less than 20 hours on it...what could be the problem?

You have learned the lesson of filtering Fuel.

Sounds like you got some crap stuck against the petcock. Are you sure you are not pinching a fuel line anywhere?

Take off tank, drain, pour about 1/2 gallon of CLEAN, FILTERED fuel, slosh it around, and FILTER IT COMING BACK OUT of the tank. If you see pieces, put the re-filtered gas back in, and repeat. when you get no crap out of the tank, put an inline fuel filter between tank, and carb(any one will do).

Does it sputter and stall, or just flat out die like you hit the kill switch?

The bike is just flat out dying...Ill have to get a closer inspection today...thanks for the tip

Flat out dying is a spark/electrical related problem.

Fuel, the quad will sputter and die as it loses fuel. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Time to pull off the plastics, and check wires, and connections.

If this is the 07, I'd take that **** back to the dealer and start bitching.

yea definately run a in line filter between the carb and petcock, the petcock does have a shitty prefilter on it (i believe, or atleast they had it on the old yamaha 3 wheeler i had), so personally i'd take the petcock off ( drain gas before) clean out the screen, and just splice the 2-3 dollar filter into the line and zip tie the ends, i found mine from my yamaha dealer for cheap, but im sure you could find one at the local hardware auto department or auto store.

well, the bike is technically under warranty...but it says in my warranty I basically cant have any aftermarket parts on...which I dont except for skids and nerfs so I dont think theyll break my balls. The bike has to go in to the dealer anyways to adjust valves because its been 10-20 hours already...so I think Ill hit two birds with one stone...ill bitch at em' but something tells me they wont acknoledge the warranty because all dealers are ****** assholes. Thanks for the help again guys its much appreciated

as a matter of fact before i started doing the bearings i was riding it around for a bit and mine started doing it so i filled it up with gas because it looks a little low to me and i kept nriding because i put it in res to get to the tanks and i turn it abck on ride for a bit more and it starts to sputter and die im like wtf/ so i bring it in my garage and took the air box off and drained the gas and it still is doing it but right now its in pieces so when i get it back togiether im gonna see if ti does ita gain

Back