Smoke on startup

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Reaction score
2003 Wolverine 350.

I'm getting a little smoke on startup when the engine is cold. It doesn't last all that long and goes away once things warm up a bit. If the engine stays warm between starts (like on a ride) it doesn't smoke at all on other starups.

I'm going to assume it's the valve seals? Anyone else have this issue?

probably the rings are a little worn and the oil is too thick to be wiped off on a cold start up, after heating up the rings expand a little and wipe the oil off the cylinder getting rid of the smoking.

Hmmm. I am running a thicker oil now. I beleive a 20w-50. Maybe it's time to go back to 10w-40. I'd go 10w-30, but it's hard to find the motorcycle version around here without paying through the nose.

i use the yamalube in mine or 10w30 if I cant find the yamalube.

When it is colder does it smoke longer? if it does I would switch to a lighter weight oil, because it takes longer for the oil to heat up and will cause more cold startup damage, due to longer time without oil on the top end and taking longer to get the oil thinned out enough to get it moving around good.

Yep.. time for a cold compression test.

If it's a tad low, I'd be happy to help you with the work.

On the flip side, I'd try the lighter weight oil first as you'll need it anyway with winter approacing.

With 20W-50 - mine won't even turn over in the cold. High compression piston with a thick oil is just too much for the aged and seasoned starter.

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy the yamalube 10w-30. It's like $6 a quart at the local dealer. Ouch! :shock:

A compression test may not be a bad idea. Do I need to purchase one or do places loan those out?

They are suspossed to be coming out with a new yamalube oil that will be $9, one that will be $6 and the regular will drop to $5 I think.

I saw the one for $9 at the dealer last week. I beleive it was a semi synthetic blend.

I wish the 10w-30 motorcycle oil was carried by more auto parts places.

Glenn said:
A compression test may not be a bad idea. Do I need to purchase one or do places loan those out?

Hey Glenn - if we end up going on a ride together some time, I'll just bring mine along - we just need to make sure we test it cold - can't be even the slightest bit warm - thus, we'll do it before you unload.

As for places renting them out, I don't know - never tried that route.

Back