Sloppy seconds, thirds, fourths...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birddogg

Reaction score
Does anyone else despise the little linkage on the shifter? The little ball joints are shot on mine and I'm thinking of rigging something up. Maybe building a little bracket eliminating the ball joints and useing brake pins to eliminate the slack?

I don't really have an issue with the linkage; rather, an issue with how difficult it can be getting into 2nd or 3rd gear when it's cold out.

While it is not the best, I found the shifter to work fine. The problem that I have is when my Wolverine has been sitting in the garage for a while. The first time that I shift from 2nd to 3nd is very hard. Sometimes, it is so hard that I have to use my hand to shift. After the first time, I will start to work perfectly :roll:.

I read an on-line writeup once about re-building the linkage you mention with some aftermarket ball joints.

I'll have to go see if I can find it.

WoodWarrior said:
While it is not the best, I found the shifter to work fine. The problem that I have is when my Wolverine has been sitting in the garage for a while. The first time that I shift from 2nd to 3nd is very hard. Sometimes, it is so hard that I have to use my hand to shift. After the first time, I will start to work perfectly :roll:.

Same here. It's worse in the winter.

I guess I'm one of the fortunate few that has a smooth trans. This might have something to do with it also....when I start my bike I let it warm up for a little while. Maybe 2-3 minutes is all it takes. Shifts fine even in the dead of winter. May be as simple as an adjustment too. That clutch adjusting thing on the side of the left case cover should be.........well, this is what the manual says:

CLUTCH FREE PLAY ADJUSTMENT STEPS:

Loosen lock nut.
Slowly turn the adjuster COUNTERCLOCKWISE until resistance is felt.
Turn it 1/8 turn CLOCKWISE.

NOTE: Turn the adjuster counterclockwise to DECREASE the clutch free play and turn it clockwise to INCREASE the free play.

That's it...hope this helps someone.

<><

Latest posts

Back