silly question?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysisk13

Reaction score
I was wondering if the battery is charged in a 4 wheeler when it runs, I know in a car a alternator charges the battery while the engine is running. Does the stator do the same for quads and bikes??

Basically, your stator is like the alternator in your car. The power it creates to fire the spark plug also charges the battery. The power it provides for the charging system goes into the regulator/rectifier, which not only regulates the amount of voltage to the battery, but it converts the voltage from dc to ac, (if I'm remembering correctly). All new cars have a regulator built into the atlernator, quads are set up like the pre 80's automobiles.

No, most all atv starters have an idler gear that goes between the starter gear and the crankshaft gear. Quads, also use a one way starter clutch, that free wheel when running. All cars, except for maybe a few, use starters that have a "drive" the pushes the gear out to make contact with the flywheel or flexplate. If memory serves, Polaris use an "automotive" type starter.

are the warriors like the 450's where the battery only charges with the lights on?

No, warriors charge continueously. Do the 450s really charge only when the lights are on? Never heard that one.

Well you learn something everday. I vagely remember something about the trx450r and battery charging.

Back