shocks

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont think it would be to hard if your good at fabing stuff just make some new a arm brackets and shock mounts as for the axle no because they got different axle carriers and you cant switch carrriers with out switching swing arms.

i got the yfz450 shocks on mine bolted to stock a-arms and mounts. i have heard people on here that said its not a good idea to put them shocks on since the stops on the shocks will let the ball joints go past their ability and break the ball joints.. but i had mine on without knowing any of this for 3 years and i even had it at a motocross track and i havent had a problem yet. i aint sayin they are liers but i love these shocks for the money. i had Works shocks on before theses and they busted on me and i didnt have that much money to buy new Works so i pick these up off ebay and i have loved these shocks.

they are longer shocks and i just lifted the front of the fourwheeler, unbolted the lower ball joint to let the a-arm fall down, bolted up the shock to the stock mounts, then put a piece of wood under the a-arm and lowered the fourwheeler down to re-connect the a-arm. i didnt have to modify the shock or the mounts at all to make thises fit. just drop the lower a-arm.

enginerebuild011.jpg

enginerebuild012.jpg

I've yet to see anyone install the yfz shocks on the warrior without having to actually force the a-arms apart some to get the shocks between the mounts. Maybe ball joints that are already worn would have the extra little bit of travel for the shock to fit without forcing it. It isn't just a rumor that the longer shocks cause trouble though. We've been warning people of this ever since the site started, and i bet at least 5 times i've seen someone come on here wondering why it broke, or saying "yeah, you guys were right". Every time the lower ball joint popped out of the socket, and that just doesn't happen with stock shocks unless you wreck hardcore.

If it works for you, more power to ya, but i don't think it's worth the gamble. If/when something breaks, it's not going to be going 5 mph in a soft patch of grass, you can bet it's going to be when you're carrying some momentum through a jump or some rough terrain and it's gonna mess your day up. At least one of the guys that had this happen ended up with broken bones, took off a double or tabletop on an mx track and that's when the joint popped out. When he landed the lower arm dug into the ground and just thrashed him and the bike. Twisted frame, broken collar bone, and no fun for anybody.

Anyways, back to the original question. As you can see the shock thing is up in the air. Search back to early 2005 when this site started and work your way up, you'll find the same thing over and over again. Some say they don't have problems, others say it's a bad idea, etc. You make the decision.

The rear shock won't work either. Not because of the length, the length would be near perfect. You'd just have to chop out part of the sub frame to make clearance for the offset piggyback reservoir, probably not a good idea.

I don't think the a-arms would even have a remote possibility of working unless you were some sort of master fabricator. Looking at the a-arms on my 700 (which are the same ones on 450's), compared to the ones on a warrior, there's really nothing that would fit without cutting, bending, hammering, and welding. The lower and mid frame rails are spaced different, the shock mounts are at different distances, the upper arm on the raptor is a solid bar vs the warrior's 2 smaller pivots like the lower ones. The 450/700 arms are also wider at both mounting points and the list of problems would go on and on. It would be easier to make your own than modify these to work.

Axle - no chance, they're not even close. Hmm... I suppose the clever use of duct tape, gorilla glue, cardboard, spray paint, and bailing twine... no, nevermind, it won't work.

yea im not saying people should do this, i did this before i knew anything. i had a ball joint come part on me but it was with the Work shocks on. i know what yamaharider is saying and i would go by that. i did, however, get mine to fit without doing any modifying. i mean they were first year yfz450 shocks so i dont know if that would have anything to do with it. i just bought them 3 years ago without knowing any better and bolted them on and havent touched them since.

i think the front of the quad sits about the same as a stock on.

Latest posts

Back