shock question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97warriorrider

Reaction score
Im looking for aftermarket shocks for my 400ex and I noticed that all the race series shocks I have found dont have preload adjustment but the sport series do. I thought pre load adjustment was something you would want. I guess im not even sure what pre load is or what it does. Can somebody help me. I dont want someone to tell me what kind of shock to get I just want an explanation on what this is.
Thanks,
Edsell

Preload is how much the spring is compressed when there's no load on the shock.

I think you're just reading something wrong, I don't know of any aftermarket shocks, other than the bottom line, cheapest on the market works shocks, that don't have preload adjustment. Even the cheap works shocks that don't technically have adjustable preload per manufacturer specs are easily adjusted, it just takes 2 people to do it.

What kind of race series shock did you find that allegedly doesn't have preload adjustment?

RACE SERIES- RACE SERIES REFERS TO OUR NO-PRELOAD SETUP. RACE SERIES ALLOWS THE ATV TO SIT LOWER THAN STOCK WITHOUT SACRIFICING WHEEL TRAVEL. ATV RIDE HEIGHT IS FULLY ADJUSTABLE EXTERNALLY TO COMPENSATE FOR VARIOUS TRACK CONDITIONS. TYPICALLY APPLICATIONS FOR THE RACE SERIES SETUP INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO MOTOCROSS AND CROSS COUNTRY RACING WHERE A LOW CENTER GRAVITY AND HIGH CORNER SPEED ARE REQUIRED.

Ok that is from TCS website..Thay way i am taking that is that they dont have pre load adjustment??

ah, I can see how you got confused. What they mean by a no-preload setup is that the quad sits lower, but the shocks full travel is still used when jumping. Some companies call it zps, or zero preload system.

For the average rider you're probably better off with the standard sport series, especially if you ride trails. Zps really cuts down on your ground clearance in the front. Aside from that, it can be a real pain in the ass to get set up properly. When zps isn't set up right it's the most annoying thing.

well I race XC..yeah i read up about the preload and how you have to always be on the gas to get the shock to come back up and raise the front end..I also read that most companies wouldnt even sell this style shock to non racers b/c the ride is different and on jumps it could make the front end nose dive really bad..

Latest posts

Back