Shock options?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
For '08 my 13 y.o. daughter won the state championship for OCCRA XC racing in the 14 and under class (boys and girls). So next year she wants to step up to the Womens class and race her Raptor 350. So before she can do this I have to do something with the pathetic stock suspension. To me it is way to stiff for her petite size, heck it is way to stiff for even me.

So I need some feedback on options. I know you can get the entry level Elka or Works for around $500 for the front but are they any good and the stock back is actually worse than the front with wanting to launch you over the handlebars.

The option I am leaning towards is the Banshee shock for the front and the back. Is the Banshee setup much better than the stock Raptor and is it a direct fit?

Need Feedback!!! Thanks.

I love the Fox Floats.....can say and have only heard great things about them. Plus with her growing, you wouldn't have to keep sending the shocks back to get re-sprung for new weight.

if your wanting to go a little cheaper u can use a banshee rear shock and yfz 450 front shocks thats what i got on my warrior and its a totally different ride

I know Fox Floats are awesome, wish I had them for my Outlaw 525, but I do not want to dump that kind of money into the Raptor 350. Being under 16 she is CC limited and I know once she turns 16 she is going to want a 450 class machine.

About the front shocks. Are the Banshee front shocks any better than the stock Raptor shock? Aren't they a direct fit? I thought the YFZ450 shocks were about an 1" longer than stock?

And those of you with the Works or Elka shocks. Have you noticed one being better than the other?

In my opinion the banshee front shocks would be worse than stock for serious racing. Do you feel it's more important to have a smooth ride, or minimal body roll and bottom-out resistance? The banshee front shocks really aren't any better, they're just the same shocks but softer and with progressive rate springs. Even if you made the yfz shocks fit, have you ever rode a yfz? Trust me, even though they're adjustable they're still the wrong way to go if the raptor shocks are too stiff for you. To me even the raptor shocks are really soft, and the yfz shocks are on the harsh side.

I run my raptor 700 in conditions ranging from trail riding to motorcross, flat track, and high speed xc-style riding. The only time I prefer a softer setup is trail riding and rough technical stuff.

I think that you will find the banshee rear shock will be a good improvement for what you're looking for though. It has about the same bottom out resistance as stock, but more adjustability and it doesn't make the back of the quad buck like a wild bronc over the rough stuff.

I think a set of aftermarket shocks for the front is the only way to go for you. A decent quality and properly set up aftermarket shock will have a good balance of plushness in the high speed damping over uneven terrain, but sufficient damping to control body roll in the corners and prevent bottoming on big jumps. I had works shocks and honestly, i thought they were crap, i'd stay away from those. I hated the way they were set up, and even though I told them to set them up on the stiff side, they still seemed ridiculously soft for me. The quad rolled way too much in the corners, it made it feel like a 600 lb utility quad, and i'd have problems eating up suspension travel too quickly and tearing up my skid plates on rocks because of it. It took about a year before the pieces of trash started leaking oil at the seals. That's piss-poor in my opinion. I have a rear shock on my old dirt bike that's 19 years old and still isn't showing signs of leaking.

That being said, I think Elka shocks are overrated too, but still better designed internally than works and they seem to have better satisfaction rates with their customers. My choice for aftermarket shocks was always TCS, which recently was bought out by Race Tech, also a good company. They're a little more expensive sometimes, but to me, well worth the extra cost. TCS quoted me around $800 for fully custom front shocks with compression, rebound, and preload adjustment, and remote reservoirs. I suggest you contact Race Tech and get a quote before you make any decisions. A non reservoir set might come in pretty close to your $500 budget, assuming the prices didn't change drastically when they got bought out by Race Tech.

You could also contact ATV Suspension Tech, they deal with most of the big name suspension companies and helped me out a lot with advice when I was deciding what to do with my suspension after my bad experience with the works shocks.

Thanks for the input YamaRider.

I have ridden the YFZ450 and to me it has the worst suspension of the 450's, extremely harsh and unforgiving, especially for rough XC racing with a light rider. My Outlaw 525 has custom built suspension with the usual Flexx bars, vib mounts, etc for XC racing and I finished the season 3rd in class and 4th in the overall B class riders, so I realise how important the suspension is.

I think you are right though for the custom front suspension and the Banshee rear. With gear she is 100 lbs soaking wet and the stock suspension on the Raptor makes it want to 2-wheel in the corners instead of loading the suspension up and sliding through the corner. The girl has talent and wipped up on many, many boys last year though. I am just not overly excited about dumping $$$ into the 350 Raptor when I know in 2 years she will want to step up to a 450.

Tell me more about the 300EX. It looks like the 300EX shocks are 13" long and the 350 are around 14.5" long. Do they still work very well? What are the advantage?

Well they are going to lower it but i do think they are softer than the stock 350's. The 300ex is lighter to begin with so i think they would work better for a lighter rider. Dont expect them to be like works or elkas or anything but for this problem i think they would work.

I'm not sure if that would be the greatest idea. You can end up with unforseen issues using a shock that's not the right length. Just like shocks too long causing problems, too short of a shock could cause the suspension to compress past the point that it was designed to handle before the bump stops limit the travel, you could end up breaking ball joints and all that junk and i don't think that's going to be worth the risk. Plus, if just a softer shock is what the goal is, the banshee shocks are softer than stock, and are actually the right length. I don't see what benefit a 300 shock would have.

Well the girl is only 13 and im going to say not over 100 lbs or so. The 300 ex shocks have shorter travel i think... not positive though. It would have to be looked over but for someone this light they may work, maybe blaster shocks also. Banshee shocks are going to be an improvement none the less and i would reccomend them over stock. Just dont expect it to ride like a new machine since they are pretty much the same shocks just dual rate.

I use works on the front of my warrior and I agree they are way to soft. I xc race a yfz and those shocks are very stiff for anything but racing. I have ridden and elka suspended warrior and it was very nice.

Back