shock length

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bickel76

Reaction score
does anyone know the shock length for shocks to be used with +2 a-arms (eye to eye)?

Aftermarket a-arms are designed to use stock length shocks, unless you special-order for a different length, or are doing a long travel setup.

my lonestars didnt require the use of new shocks and with the stock shocks my front end is higher than before, so that means that if you wanted to keep the same ride height, shorter shocks would be needed

i'm not trying to be a smartass or anything so i hope no one takes this the wrong way...that being said, when you go to motojoe's site and try to order a set of elka's, why does it ask if you have std. or +2 a-arms. also, why do many a-arm manufactures say that you can temporarily use your stock shocks, but they will be too soft, like calvalrycop said. does it not have to do with the length, but the valving? i never thought about that being the difference. i just assumed the shocks for +2 a-arms were either longer or shorter. i'm just wondering if there are a set of shocks out there that can be used temporarily until i can afford a set of elkas that are better than the stock warrior shocks.

i'm not trying to be a smartass or anything so i hope no one takes this the wrong way...that being said, when you go to motojoe's site and try to order a set of elka's, why does it ask if you have std. or +2 a-arms. also, why do many a-arm manufactures say that you can temporarily use your stock shocks, but they will be too soft, like calvalrycop said. does it not have to do with the length, but the valving? i never thought about that being the difference. i just assumed the shocks for +2 a-arms were either longer or shorter. i'm just wondering if there are a set of shocks out there that can be used temporarily until i can afford a set of elkas that are better than the stock warrior shocks.

Leverage on the shocks... similar to using a crowbar, the longer the bar... the less effort needed but you also loose progress, so you can do the work easier but you cant do as much....

In other words longer arms with have more leverage on the shocks.. however the suspension can travel more because the shocks actually move less due to the added length...

To prove this to you take a pencil and put your finger in the middle of it... apply pressure down and lift one end. Notice how far your finger moves and how far the end you life up moves, now move your finger away from the end of the pencil you just lifted towards the other end and do it again.. Notice the outside of the pencil moves up higher and your finger goes up less.

What about the 2001 Raptor 660 shocks? Won't they work until you get better ones?

i have been thinking about raptor fronts, but dont they measure 15 1/2? i'm afraid that they would be too long and cause premature wear to the ball joints. anyone using these shocks on their warrior/rappy?

well +a arms will still hold the stock shock with out a problem the thing is you might have to get it revalved and stuff to make it feel rite unless u buy new ones..

Back