Shifting without the clutch?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevslatvin

Reaction score
Hey my brother-in-law told me I can downshift without using the clutch, and sometimes I do and it seems fine.No grinding wierd noises or anything. Is it really ok to do this? I've heard in the past that you can shift motorcycles and four wheelers without using the clutch. Thanks

Hey my brother-in-law told me I can downshift without using the clutch, and sometimes I do and it seems fine.No grinding wierd noises or anything. Is it really ok to do this? I've heard in the past that you can shift motorcycles and four wheelers without using the clutch. Thanks

It’s perfectly fine to shift with out the clutch but when shifting with the motor under heavy load (hard acceleration and high RPM downshifting) it is best to use the clutch to shift to minimize stress on the components (even though you don’t have to).

i only dont use the clutch when im about to hit a jump or in tight tight trails or if im coming into a turn really fast where i dont have a free hand

i only dont use the clutch when im about to hit a jump or in tight tight trails or if im coming into a turn really fast where i dont have a free hand

Where is your other hand that keeps you from grabbing the clutch. Haha <::::::::::::::::::3, or in your case <:3.

Just kidding man, being able to grab the clutch going into corners fast could seriously benefit you on the speed side of things. A quick slip could keep you from rolling over, i have done that many times.

[quote:co6yfurv]Hey my brother-in-law told me I can downshift without using the clutch, and sometimes I do and it seems fine.No grinding wierd noises or anything. Is it really ok to do this? I've heard in the past that you can shift motorcycles and four wheelers without using the clutch. Thanks

It’s perfectly fine to shift with out the clutch but when shifting with the motor under heavy load (hard acceleration and high RPM downshifting) it is best to use the clutch to shift to minimize stress on the components (even though you don’t have to).[/quote:co6yfurv]

He told me it was best to use the clutch when accelerating as well. Most of the time when I downshift without it my revs are already down.Its when I would normally be needing to go down a gear when entering a turn ,etc.

A big help on quick shifting is a ez pull clutch lever, they are much closer to the bar and enable you to shift just as fast.

it was in a catalough (dont know how to spell the damn word)...im not sure maby (rockymountainatv, dennis kirk, motosport outlet or something else)

No, that's the replacement parts for it, the actual lever and hydraulic line cost 200. The only one I've really seen is the Magura.

Back