Shifting problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an '05 Wolverine 350 & the last month or so have been having problems shifting--only when I shift up, though--no problem shifting down. We thought it was low in oil, but even after adding oil it can be a bear shifting. So much so, that I have had to reach down and pull the lever up with my hand, vs my foot. Has anyone else had this problem? Could the clutch be going out? Is there an adjustment screw or something? Appreciate any feed back. Thanks :(

CLUTCH FREE PLAY ADJUSTMENT STEPS:

Loosen lock nut.
Slowly turn the adjuster COUNTERCLOCKWISE until resistance is felt.
Turn it 1/8 turn CLOCKWISE.

NOTE: Turn the adjuster counterclockwise to DECREASE the clutch free play and turn it clockwise to INCREASE the free play.

This may not solve your problem, but it's the only adjustment clutch or shifter wise.... I'd give it a shot and then post back and let us know.

Thanks, we'll give this a try. Hope it solves the problem! We've got a weekend camping/riding trip planned next weekend.

95 Wolverine, we tried the adjustment and we did notice some improvement. It still is harder to shift up, though. We think we might have shifted something out of alignment when I got hung up/straddling a log a couple of months ago. For now, I'm purchasing some riding boots so I can shift easier. Guess next step is getting a shop to look at it.

Thanks.

Make sure that the foot shifer pivots freely around it's pivot shaft. With time and a bit of water, they try to rust on. I found mine fairly hard to move when I bought it, but after pulling it apart and sanding the pivot shaft slightly as well as the foot shifter bore, then applying some marine grade grease, it's much better than before.

If that doesn't fix it, it's likely time to visit a shop.

I find my machine is often difficult to shift from 2nd to 3rd if it's not warmed up. This problem usually becomes more of an issue in the winter. However, after riding for a bit, it usually corrects itself.

I also sometimes have an issue shifting out of reverse when it's cold. Funny thing...I can get it to shift out if I reach down and grab the shifter. I may have to look at the linkage.....

I think many Wolverines have a shifting issue, especially when they are cold. Mine has been touchy getting it out of reverse since day one but I did not have this problem with upshifting until the last couple of months. Yes, I have reached down and shifted with my hand vs foot quite a few times.

We're going to try what 95 Wolverine suggested about working on the foot shifter. Will have to wait until after our weekend trip though as we will have to take off the nerf bars, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to post again soon, saying that this issue is resolved.

Thought I'd update a little on this problem . . . my husband adjusted the shifter some and it is better. Not perfect, but a definite improvement. It still gets stuck when shifting from reverse to first alot but I guess that is not unusual with Wolverines--and every now and then doesn't want to shift from 3rd to 4th. Can't figure that one out?? I still love my Wolverine!

Now that the cooler weather is here, I have a similar reverse problem. I usually don't have the problem until the frist start of the AM, after I've trailered the machine to a riding spot. Once it's in reverse, it takes a lot of effort to get it out of reverse. I've even switched to YamaLube 10w-30 for the winter...and I still have the issue. For now, if I can't get it out of reverse, I just let the machine idle and warm up for a bit.

Fortunately we don't have to worry about too much cold weather here in Houston, TX--but I have heard about the Wolverine shifting being easier in warmer weather.

I just received an e-mail from ATV connection about a post I made awhile back about this same issue. I guess it's somewhat of a common problem on the Wolverine. One guys said switching to synthetic oil helped.

Yhea synthetic does help shifting even in a standard car.
Just make sure it is safe for the clutch in an atv or motorcycle.

Back