Setting Timing

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar1

Reaction score
I know it may have been in some other thread, but can someone tell me how to set the timing on the warrior motor?
I thought my starter clutch had gone out, but after reassembling it, it is locking one way like it's supposed to. I went ahead and put on a new cam chain also, even though the other chain didn't appear to be stretched when comparing the new and old side by side.

Well, I am having a hard time finding the info I need in that manual. It doesn't help when the search tool wont pick up anything either, even though the words are there.

- Take the cam cover off.
- Take the rubber gommit/screw cap out of the top of the generator side cover.
- Take the plastic generator side cover off.
- Take a socket to the flywheel bolt and rotate it untill you see a T through the hole that the gommit/screw cap was in. (make sure its a T)
- The cam sprocket has a line on it, if that line does not point to the bump at the top of the cam housing, then your timing is off.

Remove the cam bolt and cam chain tensioner. Set the cam line while the T stays set in the center of the screw cap hole. Now your in time. Put everything back and tighten to spec.

just make sure your at T not F its easy to mistake them, then dont drope washer down the cam chain hole like i did. but it was all fine, used a magnet on a strign to fish it out

It was not as risky becuase I already had the stator/flywheel cover off anyway.

warrior saddness....to deadlast

i have weak spark and my timming is on piont,it did run before i had a new cam put in...now what do i do next? the spark is weak all of a suden.and everything is new!!! weak spark and wont start!!!!

make sure your valves are set correctly. Check to make sure you hooked all the wires back up. Is your battery charged. If you check the manual(there's a online one on this site) and check to make sure your coil, pickup coils and stator are good and in spec.

sence you was saying you warrior jump time when you put it back in time take your spark plug out make sure your piston is the whole way up then take you cover off of the side of the head take the bolt out take a string tie it to the chain then tie it to the frame so it dont fall down in the motor then the top gear take a socket that fits the bolt then turn it till it lines up with that little line abouve the gear if you hear a click when you turn it that is good then when you get that lined up make sure the t on the magneto is lined up with the little line then recheck to see if your piston is still up if it is then on tighten the top gear and put your chain back on and one thing is make sure you have some thing to hold the gear still when you on tighten the bolt then get every thing put back toghter then you are ready to go my warrior jumped time and i watch my friend how he put it back in time.

i know this may be like reviving a dead thread kinda thing, but its stickied and not moving anyways..

at any rate... it runs in my mind theres a dowl pin in the cam to the sprocket. its not a matter of turning the sprocket, so much as the whole cam itself, once you take the chain off..

just to clarify what im gettting at, you have to pull the chain right off the sprocket, then turn it all to position, then put chain back on. its prolly obvious to most people, but some may get flustered by the event.. lol

I was wondering also, anyone advance thier timing at all or anything?

Hi new here, I've got a 92 warrior with some issues. I've created a thread on that. But I have a timing related question.
I noticed on the fly wheel that there is a T/F 180* from each other. Does it matter which I use?
The line on the cam gear is On the bottom when it lines up with the notch and T. If I understand this I'm 180 out of time? Does this make sense?
v-notch
o- gear
l - mark
T/F - it lines up to T
O- flywheel
T/F
It's a poor diagram but hope it helps

Timing and Fire. You want it on T, and the line on the cam gear to match to the head.

v-notch
l - mark
o- gear
T
O- flywheel
F
i under stud it and fixed it ... it should be like this

Back