Replacing Valve Seals?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That top end kit will work fine. If you want some more outta it, go with a JE 10.5:1 piston. But, Wiseco has very good pistons. You don't have to replave the valves, unless there are bent, or beyond the wear limit. If I were you, I'd install HD valve springs. You can get Kibblewhite springs on Ebay for about 80-90 depending on seller. It makes sense to do it while you are in there, and if ever you decide to go with more then just a S1HC, you can do it. Besides, new springs are better then old soft stockers.

Gotcha makes sense guys, thanks.

So for someone on a budget, does it make sense to get a cylinder bore and new piston kit right now, or should I just replace the valve seals and anything that's out of spec on the top end right now, and get the piston kit at a later time? I want to be sensible due to the fact that I'm saving my money for a car right now and I don't want to pour money into the quad if I don't need to. Especially considering I probably will be able to spend a lot more on it next summer and years beyond.

Do it all at the same time. If you can't afford it right now, just keep an eye on the oil and ride it til you can. Mine has been that way for a couple years now.

You might as well do it now if your gonna have the top end apart. That way you dont have to tear it down agian. What Pat siad would put you prepped for later on.

Alright, so here's my understanding of what I would need to do whenever I do this-

-Take apart the top end of the engine
-Measure the cylinder (or get it measured?)
-Order a proper size piston kit
-Take the top end and piston kit to a machine shop to get the cylinder bored/honed
-Install piston (or have it installed?)
-Install HD valve springs and replace whatever top end parts that are out of spec (such as the valve seals)

If there's anything I'm missing or got wrong, let me know. I'm not sure if I would get the piston installed or if we would install it ourselves, and I'm also unsure if we have the proper tools to measure the cylinder. Anyways, anyone have an idea of how much this will all cost?

As for properly measuring the cylinder you probably dont have the correct equipment to do it correctly. The best and most accurate for it is a dial bore gauge, you can get away with a telescoping gauge and micrometer but its not the best. Not to mention its alot of measurements, top, middle, and bottom.

installing the piston yourself is no biggie and its free to do it yourself lol

As for properly measuring the cylinder you probably dont have the correct equipment to do it correctly. The best and most accurate for it is a dial bore gauge, you can get away with a telescoping gauge and micrometer but its not the best. Not to mention its alot of measurements, top, middle, and bottom.

Alright, so I'd want the small engine shop/machine shop to measure the cylinder for me, but I can install the piston myself. Gotcha.

I suppose I'll see how things go, in order to figure out when I should try to do all of this, since you guys said that if my engine is apart, I should get the cylinder bored over and get a new piston, instead of replacing the valve seals now and doing the rest at a later time.

I just went through this not to long ago. Like most have said, if ya got it apart, you might as well do the valves and piston. I was able to get all the parts pretty cheap on E-bay. I had a local shop bead blast the head, bore the cylinder and do the valve job for me. Mine was smoking pretty good before warm-up but I was not sure if it was from bad valve seals or worn out piston/rings.

Back